L200 Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
02 October, 2014, 01:18:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
135274 Posts in 14395 Topics by 8328 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Can any L200 Owners Club member who moves house or changes their Email address make sure they let us know - so we can keep our records up-to-date
Home L200 Forum Click here to view Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise Forum Forum Login Register Links Page email
Want to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club sponsor Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  First Timer! Help with a dead L200 please
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Timer! Help with a dead L200 please  (Read 9794 times)
Madles

« on: 02 June, 2011, 22:30:08 PM »

Hi I have a L200 worrier that will not start.. It might start if it does then it will not rev and after a minute or less it dies like a fuel problem.. Then it will not start again.. Changed for new the twin valves on the rocker cover the boost and the two on the inner wing.. Recently had head rebuild and was running fine then just stopped running.. Have checked and doubled checked timing replaced crank sensor and sensor plate key and front pulley.. Have tried second hand ecu immobiliser and key also tried replacement fuel pump.. Have fuel it appears to be at the right time.. Totally lost any ideas it just will not start.. Help please..

2003 registered
Thank you
Les

Jabberwocky
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2011, 22:37:18 PM »

try disconnecting the vacum pipe to the intake butterfly, stab in the dark really, see what happens as I think disconnecting it allows the butterfly valve to open freely.

54 Warrior HGF @75K, new gasket, no EGR, New Turbo, running sweet as a nut now.
Madles

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2011, 22:43:09 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply yes I have tried that one time it started ran for less than one minute and died as if it had a fuel problem ie cough and splutter but would not rev and would only just tick over.. Les
geoff stone

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2011, 22:43:31 PM »

check fuel lines right from the tank to the front - if airs getting into the system ...........won`t run. Undecided others will be along soon with more suggestions Wink

good luck

Geoff
Madles

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2011, 22:52:23 PM »

Hi thanks checked all fuel line bleed it up to a container in engine bay.. Removed injectors and spun over with injectors connected and confirm all are squirting ok..
Madles

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:03:08 PM »

I also towed the motor for about 4 miles would not rev but must have been firing as the water got up to temperature
aidanb19
Owners Club member

Redditch, Worcs

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:09:29 PM »

Worth checking what readings your getting from the pedal?

2003 Animal, 205k miles
Rebuilt engine, no EGR, decat, power upgrade, solid roll stopper, lifted front
Greigy

He who hingeth aboot getith hehaw

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:14:06 PM »

might be worth a try but change the fuel filter, if its blocked then the fuel might no be getting up to pressure, sure you might get some out the injectors but not enough to rev it.

Alan

51 Reg L200 4life Double cab,
Purple over Silver,
Chrome A bar, Roll bar, Rear bumper,
Spot lights x6 with Angel Eye's
Colour coded alloy wheels,
285/75r16 Kumho KL71 boots,
Night Breaker Headlamp bulbs.
L,E,D Day running lights
Reverse Camera with infa red led's
Pro-comp +2 rear shox
3" extended shackles
BANGERSTOX10
Owners Club member

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:19:18 PM »

Have you got the crank angle sensor connected to the right connector??? As there are 2 very simular very close to each other. One goes onto the fuel pump the other to the crank angle sensor. Do you have any fualt codes? What colour is the smoke? There is a return valve in the outlet of the pump, the bolt that holds the union on. Has this happened since the head work?

L200 WARRIOR 2005 K74 FRT AND REAR TOWBARS POLYBUSHED MIDLAND CB RADIO SE4X4R MEMBER
CANTERBURY
Madles

« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:19:48 PM »

Have replaced fuel filter  but I am interested in the pedal subjection as I have not yet been there and would like to illuminate.. How doi check the pedal or by pass it.. Thanks
Madles

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:23:01 PM »

Hi yes the head work was done and motor was fine to start with.. Yes the crank sensor was checked and even though they are close the pump one does not easily reach the top one.. Good point but been there..
Madles

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:26:48 PM »

No fault codes and as you turn it over you get grey / White smoke not very much but enough to see that it is turning over and tring to fire but it will not run on it's own.
BANGERSTOX10
Owners Club member

« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2011, 23:57:21 PM »

Have you checked the key ways on the camshaft and crankshaft to see if they have broken. Also which timing marks are you using? The outer crankshaft pulley ones might be out have you checked it on the ones which drive the cambelt. Will the vehicle run on another substance e.g. brake cleaner, carb cleaner? When does run does it smell of unburnt diesel?

L200 WARRIOR 2005 K74 FRT AND REAR TOWBARS POLYBUSHED MIDLAND CB RADIO SE4X4R MEMBER
CANTERBURY
Madles

« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2011, 00:41:34 AM »

Hi when I replaced the front pulley and wood rough key I used the pulley marks to confirm timing.. Not had it running long enough to smell the smoke etc.. Camshaft hasa pin checked and not broken..
BANGERSTOX10
Owners Club member

« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »

Right let start ruling things out ! Is the pump timing marks lined up also ? Put a can of diesel under the bonnet and put your feed and return from the injection pump into the can then try an get it to run. If it runs OK then it is you feed from the fuel tank. What diesel are you using ? Have you filled up recently ? Was it with diesel or have you put petrol in by mistake ? Is the EGR valve open when it is running ?

CANTERBURY
Lez
Owners Club member

2000, double cab 100,000 miles and still going

« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »

Completely with Bangerstox on this..... always 'can' it first, proves where the fault lies by dividing the fuel system down. we always do this with any fuel / running  problem. If you have a test meter, check all the wires to the padal, with it conneted, you should have two that change voltage when the pedal goes from 'off' to 'full throttle' voltage will go from about 1v to around 4v, there should be two wires ( i think) that are at 12v ish and two ground wires ( possibly 3) not found out yet what the other 1 does. Check with ignition on, engine off.
Lez.

2000, double cab with electrical & electronic Mods
ltrend@blueyonder.co.uk
treeboa
Owners Club member

north east, county durham way

« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »

Have tried second hand ecu immobiliser and key

you need the key, pickup ring and the ecu for this to work

get yourself a small tank of fuel right over the pump

also you mention changing the pump, fuel shut off valve fault ?

try seven up, snow white recomends it Wink
Black 2005 Warrior, now 105.500, thats over 50k on 100% veg
latest mods an apollo filter and a pop up top, nice new stainless de cat pipe, replaced btm pully @92k, egr blanked
Madles

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2011, 20:28:54 PM »

Hi guys have tried the ecu, key, immobiliser, transponder etc.. No different.. Palced fuel in a container under bonnet.. No different.. Now I have a bit of an update.. I have brought another check gauge (digital) and double checked the static timing set to 7* after TDC with 1mm lift I had the injectors out and set timing.. Put pipes back on and bleed used a very small amount of easy start hay presto she started run and reved up perfect.. Shut it down as no radiator etc left ten minuets started on key with no assistance.. Left further 10 minutes started again with no assistance so I rebuilt engine went to start so I could fill with water would not start and from this point on it will not start.. Towed it jumped it brought new battery disconnected the alternator tried easy start still will not start.. Striped back fuel system rechecked the static timing (ok) but it will not start......... Help I feel a skip coming on...
Lez
Owners Club member

« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2011, 20:45:50 PM »

Les, where abouts are you mate?
Lez.

ltrend@blueyonder.co.uk
Jabberwocky
Owners Club member

« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2011, 21:02:13 PM »

I have brought another check gauge (digital) and double checked the static timing set to 7* after TDC with 1mm lift I had the injectors out and set timing..

Not sure if it make a difference but the tech manual states 9 with 1mm.

54 Warrior HGF @75K, new gasket, no EGR, New Turbo, running sweet as a nut now.
Lez
Owners Club member

« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2011, 21:24:50 PM »

Les, also been pondering this for a while, are you getting good squirt ( injection), turn an injector and try it to see, with all the things you have tried, have you been through ALL the fuses, just in case you have popped one and not noticed it.
Lez.

ltrend@blueyonder.co.uk
Madles

« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2011, 22:59:31 PM »

Few answers: I am in Rochester Kent.. Advise from diesel centre is that it will run better at 7* with 1 mm lift.. But ecu should correct any very small difference.. I have had all linjectors connected out of the engine cranked it over and they have all squirted seamingley ok.. Thanks to all for your help I feel like I am going out my mind with this one..
BANGERSTOX10
Owners Club member

« Reply #22 on: 06 June, 2011, 22:59:39 PM »

So it does not even try to start on easy start Huh Huh Have you checked the tappet clearences / lash adjusters ? It should run on the easy start or brake cleaner providing the valve timing is correct. Also there is a fuse in the fuse box by the battery which if blown will not let the engine start. Also in the passenger footwell there will be a link plug for live feeds and earth feeds. It will have a group of red wires & black wires going into this check this is not corroded. Have you tried rebleeding the diesel system? I am in canterbury just down the road from you.

CANTERBURY
alzheimers
Owners Club member

« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2011, 23:09:13 PM »

Only problem with using easy start is that it strips the bores and cause major damage if use alot Sad

1998 L200 Single Cab
2003 Warrior Double Cab
treeboa
Owners Club member

north east, county durham way

« Reply #24 on: 07 June, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »

if it wont fire up on easy start then its not electrical or fuel related, using that stuff you have bypassed the electrics and fuel system, timings drastically out or it has no compression

try seven up, snow white recomends it Wink
Black 2005 Warrior, now 105.500, thats over 50k on 100% veg
latest mods an apollo filter and a pop up top, nice new stainless de cat pipe, replaced btm pully @92k, egr blanked
Lez
Owners Club member

« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2011, 19:28:37 PM »

Les, I am now of the same opinion as Treebo, Recheck your valve clearances, and even drop them back to  20 thou for checking purposes. Go back to the beginning and recheck everything, not just 'I know that's OK' recheck and check again, there has been many a time when I have done something daft or missed something and was convinced it was ok.
Lez.
If you really get stuck with this and cannot get it going, my workshop is in Lewisham, SE London, if you can get it to me I will have a look at it.

ltrend@blueyonder.co.uk
Madles

« Reply #26 on: 10 June, 2011, 01:56:29 AM »

Thank you all!

I have checked striped rebuilt it does run nice on clutch brake cleaner.... And as fuel and I believe at the right time... I have added positive power to shut off solenoid checked fuel at injectors but will not start on diesel.. Compression test was 300 on each cylinder...

I am planning to pull the head off but don't really no where to go from here...
jimmy
Regional Reps

Lancashire based

« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »

@Madles wat did you do between it going from not starting on easy start and it running well on brake cleaner i have a gut feeling that there is more than one thing wrong with your engine.

Ian

l2004life 2002  ecoflow 161542k and climbing asifer skid plates 2" suspension lift extended shackles 1 1/2" body lift  runing on special tracks lots of lights shogun v6 front axle with arb locker  37 mm wheel spacers 295/75/16 hankook R T 03 dinapro mts Elete winch bumper with13000 winch it winch with dinema 60 2nd battery with split charge in the procces of being fitted allong with the conversion of the champion eb12000  to go on the back ome suspension
 lifes for living live it
BANGERSTOX10
Owners Club member

« Reply #28 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »

Right the engine valve timing is right. How have you checked the pump timing Huh Huh Have you put a dial guage in the back of the pump and set it up correctly? Taking the head off will not give you any reason for non start. It sound more like a Fueling issue or the timing of the injector pump. When it tries to fire up is it in a cloud of smoke and then dies off again? If so this is because it has filled itself up with diesel in the bores. Have you checked the pick up ring on the crank because this will be for the timing adjustment on ECU. Have you checked your fuses on the fuse box under the bonnet next to the battery on the inner wing? Because there is one in there which is specific for the ECU. If this is blown your vehicle will not start for all the tea in china !!

CANTERBURY
BANGERSTOX10
Owners Club member

« Reply #29 on: 10 June, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

Just a thought has the vehicle got an alarm fitted or has it had an alarm fitted ?

CANTERBURY
stuartshaw
Owners Club member

« Reply #30 on: 10 June, 2011, 19:10:39 PM »

This sounds electrical...have you checked the ground connections around the engine?

06 Trojan, old shape. Bought with 19.5k on the clock and adding mileage quickly!
Blimey upto 40k already... that's 3 oil changes down, many to go
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #31 on: 14 August, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »

I had exact same problem on td4 a few weeks ago it really did my head in, go back to the simple road as it sounds to me you have done so much now its fry-ed you head. The td4 was not starting and white gray smoke,it would start after cranking for half hour sometimes and if started within a few minits it was fine,After 10minits it would not start again.. in the end after a lot of hours put in to it, The pump was out a fraction, My Td5 had  a similar problem one time decided not to start and after days off checking it over someone advised me to change filter, I was not convinced at all but did change it and to my amazement it started first time and no problems since. It a case of sometimes we get to thecnical and get mental block trying to think to hard on it. Walk away tea and a smoke go back to basic

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Landrover 90 and discovery td5. I do love my landys,
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: