Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum   KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
16 December, 2017, 08:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
160344 Posts in 18253 Topics by 11340 Members
www.L200.org.uk
The L200 Owners Club joining fee is a one-off £15. Paypal is available (Send funds to chris@L200.org.uk).
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Events Section - Charity events, Auctions ETC
| | |-+  Charity/Events/Meetings/Days Out
| | | |-+  Other Charity Events
| | | | |-+  HELP FOR HEROES 4x4 EUROPEAN RALLY - June 15th-29th 2013
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP FOR HEROES 4x4 EUROPEAN RALLY - June 15th-29th 2013  (Read 18055 times)
nickburt
European Wanderer
Global Moderator & Charity Fundraiser

Where will the Pheonix take us next?

« on: 02 April, 2013, 20:28:38 PM »

Well, it's coming up to that time of year again.  With the Mac 4x4 UK Challenge behind us and it's donation page closed down, time to turn our attention to the H4H 4x4 European Rally.

We're booked in, paid up and starting to prepare for it.

Plan A - L200 - the usual truck of choice
Plan B - LR Lightweight
Plan C - L200 - the same one as Plan A

I have been working on the Lightweight for a while now, but reality is starting take hold.  We have 10 weeks to go now 'till the start - that equates to 20 working days for me as I work away from home during the week, so only have weekends.  There's two bank holidays between now and the start, so that, in theory, should add another 2 days to the calendar, giving me a total of 22 days work.

But, the amount of work the Lightweight still needs, I begin to wonder if I can really be sure of getting it ready in time.  Out of the 10 weeks left, I should really have the Lightweight on the road for a few weeks before heading off on a 3000 mile, 2 week trip.  So, the 10 weeks, becomes 6 !!  See one of my posts about the Lightweight - reality check.

The L200 was always going to be the back up vehicle, but that too needs a bit of work to be sure it's ready and reliable - so a decision needs to be made in the next couple of weeks - which one do I focus on?  I think I'm beginning to see the answer to that.

In the mean time, Lyn and I are turning our attention to fund raising for Help for Heroes.  Every penny counts to the guys and gals who get support and rehabilitation from the H4H charity.

So ................. without shame .................. let the begging begin.        If you feel you can spare a bit of cash, please go to the donation page link in my signature and leave as much as you can.

I'm also in the process of writing to all the subcontractors and suppliers the company I contract to use and, with a bit of luck, some of them will come through with some good donations.

If you know of any companies who might like to get involved, either by supporting my entry in the event (cash or goods/materials to be sold/auctioned/raffled etc... and please let them know that everything donated goes to the charity, nothing goes to my running costs etc... I do it because I enjoy it and want to do it) or if they might like to become a corporate partner to the rally, please point them in my direction, or me in their direction.

As always, a thanks to you, the L200 OC, for the continued support for the Help for Heroes Charity.

Black 2004 Warrior. Gallery

Entry No ?? in the 2017 Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
To sponsor Team L200: Donate to Macmillan TBA
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2013, 22:47:46 PM »

This time in 11 weeks it'll be day 4 and we'll be in a bar in Ypres drinking Duval after visiting the Last Post at the Menin gate.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2013, 23:30:25 PM »

We've just passed over the £1000 for this year (810 + 202.50 gift aid).  So going quite well at the moment.

If you would like to donate to Help 4 Heroes, please use the link in my signature or click HERE and donate what ever you can, every penny counts towards helping our wounded with their recovery from all manner of injuries.

Total for the all the entrants in this year's event is now over £60K, with two teams over £10K.  The target is to get over last year's total of £196K ...... £200K is the aim.

If you know of any companies that might be interested in supporting, please let me know, or if you would like to organise a small event to raise a few quid, please get in touch.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2013, 21:24:32 PM »

BIG thank you to all - Chris has dropped a £500 doantion on my H4H donation page.

Onwards and upwards.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2013, 21:33:42 PM »

Anyone fancy coming along to the start - June 15th am - 1st truck away around 11 - 11:30 - here is the start venue details.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2013, 22:10:23 PM »

Well, it's just over a weak to the start and I have just one weekend to finish getting ready.

This might well be the kiss of death, but ............ the truck is ready.  Repairs and mods I've promised it for months have been done.  I dread to think how much I've spent in the last 11 months, what with starting on the lightweight, then moving onto the L200 when it was obvious time wasn't on my side getting the lightweight finished.

This year has been the hardest so far in terms of fund raising, many of the companies I normally get donations from haven't been able to, so our total this year is sadly down, as is the rally overall total.

But, every penny counts, and we have a big weekend with Asda coming up the weekend after we come back, so that should boost it a bit (last year we raised over £3000 between two teams at Aintree Asda, so hopefully similar again this year).  Last year's Asda weekend was before the start of the rally, so it boosted my total before the start, this year it's a week after we get back.

I've just spent the evening building a blog website, which will go live next week.  All the teams are being tracked again by Skytag, which will be going live the morning of the start.  Watch this space for links etc...
Hopefully, the blog will be better this year.  I've changed phone contracts and can now take all my UK data usage into Europe and with 4GB of data available, posting shouldn't be such an issue in terms of cost.  Time, however, might be a different story, as will signal strength etc... many of the camp sites last year had little or no signal, and if it's not 3G, then internet usage will be very, very slow.

If anyone would like to donate, please click the link in my signature.  Every penny counts and help our wounded heroes.  I've just posted on facebook, that if all my friends on there donated £10 each we'd raise another £2000+  surprising isn't it.

Thank you to all those who have donated, and helped me getting ready over the last few months, very much appreciated, as ever.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2013, 23:23:53 PM »

Blog set up here.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2013, 20:22:08 PM »

Weblinks etc.... here.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2013, 00:00:04 AM »

Blog has had a few pre start updates.

ted379
Owners Club member

Member Number 2421

« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2013, 22:00:43 PM »

I give up. I had the ID and password for the skytrac site but I can not find it. Any chance some one could pass it along. Please. Roll Eyes

2002 4Life Blue over Silver Double Cab
K&N Apollo, s/s Decat, HHO Cell, free wheeling hubs
Fifth wheel fitted
Ride Free in "sunny" Cornwall
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2013, 00:02:08 AM »

I give up. I had the ID and password for the skytrac site but I can not find it. Any chance some one could pass it along. Please. Roll Eyes

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you'll need a password etc.. this year - the tracking won't go live until the start on Saturday morning.

ted379
Owners Club member

Member Number 2421

« Reply #11 on: 14 June, 2013, 00:16:40 AM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you'll need a password etc.. this year - the tracking won't go live until the start on Saturday morning.
Thanks Nick I will be watching and wishing again this year

2002 4Life Blue over Silver Double Cab
K&N Apollo, s/s Decat, HHO Cell, free wheeling hubs
Fifth wheel fitted
Ride Free in "sunny" Cornwall
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #12 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »

Anyone in the Wiltshire area on Saturday, the start is from Littlcoate House - scrutineering from 08:00, first truck away 11:30.

Then the only next fixed thing is the ferry from Portsmouth at 22:45, but we're likely to be there a couple of hours before that.

Mad4Life
Owners Club member

++SE Regional Rep++Always here to help++

« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2013, 14:25:41 PM »

Went to the start to see nick and lyn off. All well with the truck but found nick under a LR replacing the rear suspension and turbo hose !!

mark

''Engineering is about finding answers to problems that don't create further problems''
----Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration---
Macmillan Cancer Support (http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-BarnesL200)
4life-extreme
Owners Club member

I`ve got a dirty habbit

« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2013, 17:36:00 PM »

just seen load of trucks heading north up M3? Shocked

2002 4life with difflock, Blue over Silver 190k miles.
Replaced bottom pulley @ 100k & 140k
Difflock sump plug, Oil Filter magnet, Bonnet guard, Snorkel. member ship #0528
GG AT`s 265-70-16 tyre pressure 36 psi all round.
angel eye spot lights, New long engine Milners 
THINGS TO DO! 30mm wheel spacers, wind deflectors.
Central locking kit,
EASTLEIGH HAMPSHIRE
Silver Surfer
Regional Reps

One Life,Live It, South East Rep

« Reply #15 on: 15 June, 2013, 22:17:15 PM »

just seen load of trucks heading north up M3? Shocked
last count at the start was 47 I think ,we were last to go home Grin Grin

Blue over silver Animal, double cab Smiley
52 Plate, 2.5TD
Mods...to much to list

ONE LIFE, LIVE IT
hugmeister
Owners Club member

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »

I saw a few on southsea seafront yesterday evening.

2001 Triton 3.0 V6 Auto

All the gear.. No idea..
Kappa......
Regional Reps

Memb No:1618 Wrexham North Wales 07857405785

« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »

Following nick on Facebook ..
Currently at Pegasus Bridge Museum...

04 Warrior. With lots of mods..( was a monster)
05 black/silver 4life
 winch bumper, snorkel, new rear springs,7" BTV suspension kit,35" tyres on deep dish rims, upgrade speakers. Braided brakelines,
Still to do...recovery back bumper, an find some lights when I get more cash...

L200's get under ur skin an you will bleed for them.. !!!!!!!
Entering Macmillan 4x4 challenge 2015
https://www.justgiving.com/Allan-Capper/
Chris Site Founder
Website and Owners Club Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2013, 19:57:15 PM »

Event over - Nick and Lynn have come 3rd overall !

WELL DONE

Chris

Website & Owners Club Founder
West Yorkshire
2003 Black Warrior (122082 miles)
Engine -
K&N filter, Allisport intercooler, S/S exhaust - inc Cat replacement pipe, Samco water and intercooler hoses,  no power chip.

Body/Chassis -
Spray on loadliner, s/s braided brake hoses,  towbar, relocated towing electrics, tonneau.

BORDA Trained
LURCH.ST3
Regional Reps

lurch from stoke

« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2013, 20:10:00 PM »

WELL DONE NICKBURT

WHAT EVER I SAY OR DO IS MY DOING & NOT THE L200 OWNERS CLUB  (MY OPINOIN ONLY ) LOCATED IN STOKE-ON TRENT
2001 4life

TRUCK INFO
http://www.l200.org.uk/community/index.php?topic=26663.0
paul_h_uk
Owners Club member

Its an L200 Jim but not as we know it

« Reply #20 on: 27 June, 2013, 23:23:50 PM »

2nd what lurch said Smiley nice one guys

02 "classic" Animal

Mods - ARB Winch Bumper, 1200lbs Winch, custom spot light bracket on grille with 4 spots, roof rack, full canopy, top box on canopy, rear 8500lbs winch, oh and lots and lots of flashy warning lights and work related kit

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #21 on: 08 July, 2013, 21:35:56 PM »

As ever, a fantastic trip again.

3500 miles in two weeks and over £700 in fuel !!!

A big thankyou to all on here for the support and a bonus to come 3rd overal.

Yup, got involved in replacing the air suspension on a Disco 2 TD5 at the start - there was no way that truck wasn't going.  Also got involved in a few other rescues along the way, as well as being the "official" recovery truck on the off road stages - on which we had clear rounds and max points on all except two - missed 1 out of 20 punches on one and clipped a flag on a trial section.

Truck performed well, with the exception of an oil leak (which a tin of stop leak cured in a couple days and the radiator cap deciding to let water out under hard work - had a s/h cap with me which cured the problem).

Already signed up for next year, which will be a major celebration - 100 years since the start of WW1 and 70 years since D-Day, so it's going to be a very special event.
From what I gather from some of the "old hands" we're likely to be one of only 3 teams who have done it every year.  5 in a row - something we're proud of.

We tried to blog as often as apossible, but as time went on and the days got longer and harder, it became more difficult to put much time aside, but I hope it gave soeme insight to our meanderings.  Have a few ideas to improve blogging and photos for next year.

A really BIG thank you to the L200 OC for the donations and support.

(Sorry not been on before now - was manic as we got back into the UK and had no internet connection outside of working hours except for FB and Twitter on the 'phone and has been manic ever since.)

LURCH.ST3
Regional Reps

lurch from stoke

« Reply #22 on: 09 July, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »

I am glad you enjoyed it nick  Grin

Keep up the good work mate  Grin

WHAT EVER I SAY OR DO IS MY DOING & NOT THE L200 OWNERS CLUB  (MY OPINOIN ONLY ) LOCATED IN STOKE-ON TRENT
2001 4life

TRUCK INFO
http://www.l200.org.uk/community/index.php?topic=26663.0
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »

Would all those who have promised a donation as a result of getting parts, work done, help, advice etc.... from me at my workshop please make those donations before the end of August.  Our 2013 donation page will be closed down then.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: