L200 Forum  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
02 September, 2014, 00:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
133898 Posts in 14228 Topics by 8255 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Members of Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club get access to more areas of the forum e.g. Owners Club Discounts, Owners Club Events, Dealerships and Servicing-DIY & Main Dealer, Not Quite Right.., Polls, Insurance, Wanted, For Sale, Accessories, Technical.
Home L200 Forum Click here to view Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise Forum Forum Login Register Links Page email
Want to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club sponsor Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Setting tappets cold
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Setting tappets cold  (Read 4928 times)
PBN
Owners Club member

« on: 10 April, 2013, 21:01:14 PM »

Hi Folks, after towing the truck home with a noisy engine I took the rocker cover off and found a broken rocker shaft. One bolt by the damage loose.No cam or rocker damage and clean break. The camshaft bearing cap thread is knackered so have ordered a set of caps and rocker shaft plus gaskets from milners.
Question is HOW DO I SET VALVE CLEARANCES COLD???
Been searching the forum for an hour now and plenty of references to 0.25mm hot but thats a pain for me with a new shaft.
Can i get away with 0.25 cold or is there a different figure to use.?
Cant even see it in the HOW TO section.   

Single cab L200 2002 old shape K74 in a fetching green.
Mad4Life
Regional Reps

++SE Regional Rep++Always here to help++

« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2013, 21:03:49 PM »

you can set them to 0.15 mm cold,
I set mine that way but run the engine up to temp and double check them hot, but it does give you a starting point

mark

''Engineering is about finding answers to problems that don't create further problems''
----Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration---
Macmillan Cancer Support (http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-BarnesL200)
PBN
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2013, 21:11:13 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply. Problem is I have to get intercooler etc off and break all my seals on rocker cover to get to them again and I have loads of trouble getting a good seal. Plus it cools off so may not be reliable.
Is 0.15 good enough for my only gap check???

barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2013, 21:21:46 PM »

I set mine that way but run the engine up to temp and double check them hot, but it does give you a starting point

mark

When you do your valve clearance check hot at 0.25 mm, have you found that you have to adjust the clearance at all?

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
PBN
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2013, 15:13:52 PM »

I set tappets cold at 0.15mm and ran her up to warm. Took intercooler etc off and checked tappets - too tight. Had to open them all up to 0.25mm for hot setting.

I think next time I would cold set at 0.20mm. Hopefully with heat expansion that would equate to 0.25mm hot.

Thanks everyone for their help on this one.

PS When I put the camshaft caps on I couldnt turn the engine as they had locked it up even with all glow plugs out to reduce compression.
I seems that the caps are machined then the oil ways are drilled and cause a sligh burr. I milled them wiith fine emery cloth wrapped round a wooden dowl in the direction of shaft motion.
After a couple of attempts they freed up and all good so far.
Just changed the oil yesterday and ran a magnet through but no metal bits so alls good.

nickburt
European Wanderer
Global Moderator & Charity Fundraiser

Where are we off to next ?

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2013, 20:07:25 PM »

Set mine to .22 cold (next size feeler gauge down below .25 !!!  Fine hot and runs well.

Black 2004 Warrior. Gallery

Entry No 34 in the 2015 Mac 4x4 UK Challenge
Sponsor Team L200: Donate here

Entry No 16 in the 2014 Help For Heroes 4x4 European Rally
Sponsor Team L200: Donate here
BobS66
Owners Club member

West Huntingdonshire

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2013, 21:11:10 PM »

mark

When you do your valve clearance check hot at 0.25 mm, have you found that you have to adjust the clearance at all?

I always find an adjustment necessary on at least half of them; but that's probably down to my error or temperature changes, as mentioned.  Haven't tried Nickburt's method yet.  So will try that next time I do mine.  Also, first running after adjustment, mine runs not quite right for say 50 miles; but then settles in nice with better power and better mileage(back to normal)- then just before adjustment.  In my mind anyway.

Bob

"NEVER WAS A WORTHY ADVENTURE WORTHILY CARRIED THROUGH BY THE MAN THAT PUT HIS PERSONAL SAFETY FIRST" (Teddy Roosevelt)
Cambs/Northants
04 '4 Work' -PECO S/S System w/De-Cat
Cooper 265/75/16 ST MAXXs on 16X8 Black Steel 'D' Mods 
Line-X(Should've done whole of the UTE)
-OME Suspension(But OEM front shocks)
-Ali Sport I/Cooler
-Samco Plumbing
-Filter magnet(Helps-230K miles)
-Original clutch, 2nd set of brake linings and pads
-May just see me out(knock on wood)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »