L200 Forum  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
28 July, 2014, 07:14:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
131938 Posts in 14035 Topics by 8134 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Members of Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club get access to more areas of the forum e.g. Owners Club Discounts, Owners Club Events, Dealerships and Servicing-DIY & Main Dealer, Not Quite Right.., Polls, Insurance, Wanted, For Sale, Accessories, Technical.
Home L200 Forum Click here to view Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise Forum Forum Login Register Links Page email
Want to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club sponsor Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Top end rattle
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top end rattle  (Read 859 times)
gyislander

« on: 06 September, 2013, 22:49:42 PM »

Looking for some ideas here !  In the last few months I've had to do a ton of head work to my 2003 warrior. Replacement 2nd hand head fitted (skimmed/tested) using my old camshaft and my old caps. New tappets which I've set and checked a few times hot and cold. Car runs really really well, good power and pick up and good mpg.

Problem is it rattles like an old tractor when I start up ! Bad when cold on idle but becoming noticeable even on hot idle too and sometimes under load. Rev the engine hot or cold  and the rattle pretty much fades away.
ronniecabers
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »

Does it blow a black smoke from exhaust....possible ignition timing out a tooth.

55 Plate Grey Animal - Classic Shape , As a truck should be!
gyislander

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2013, 20:37:29 PM »

No there's no smoke at all, everything appears really healthy ... apart from the rattle !
Lez
Owners Club member

2000, double cab 100,000 miles and still going

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2013, 21:15:07 PM »

Did you check to see if there was any play in the big ends when you did the top end, also was the head marked slightly on 1 side of the piston crown ( generally no's 1 and /or 4)

2000, double cab with electrical & electronic Mods
ltrend@blueyonder.co.uk
jimmy
Regional Reps

Lancashire based

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2013, 22:52:22 PM »

Is the rattle definatly coming from the top end and not the clutch if so i would check for a cracked cam cap having been there and done that.Allso check all the feet are intact on the tappets

Ian
« Last Edit: 07 September, 2013, 22:55:12 PM by jimmy » Logged

l2004life 2002  ecoflow 161542k and climbing asifer skid plates 2" suspension lift extended shackles 1 1/2" body lift  runing on special tracks lots of lights shogun v6 front axle with arb locker  37 mm wheel spacers 295/75/16 hankook R T 03 dinapro mts Elete winch bumper with13000 winch it winch with dinema 60 2nd battery with split charge in the procces of being fitted allong with the conversion of the champion eb12000  to go on the back ome suspension
 lifes for living live it
gyislander

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2013, 22:55:15 PM »

Yes definately top end, will take the rocker off when I get a chance to see whats what and update then, thanks.
Lez
Owners Club member

2000, double cab 100,000 miles and still going

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2013, 18:03:42 PM »

Is the rattle definatly coming from the top end and not the clutch if so i would check for a cracked cam cap having been there and done that.Allso check all the feet are intact on the tappets

Ian

The valve caps located in the ends of the rockers could have shifted.

2000, double cab with electrical & electronic Mods
ltrend@blueyonder.co.uk
gyislander

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2013, 22:22:33 PM »

Wel I took the rocker off and couldn't see anything untoward at all. Reset the tappets at 18 cold rather than 25 hot as by the time you strip it down and get to the last tappets its cooled considerably anyway ! Still has the damn rattle.

Used the truck and all was well ... but ... next morning it wouldn't start. Its always started first turn. Eventually stuttered into life and I then found a vacuum pipe at the rear had popped off. Next morning it started ok though not as quickly as it used to. Reckon I'll change the glow plugs before winter sets in.

As for the rattle .... that remains a mystery  Huh
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: