Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum   KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
26 July, 2017, 05:35:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
159715 Posts in 18093 Topics by 11170 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Please give consideration to joining the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club - depth of numbers gives us credibility and helps us to find discounts.
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Newbie/Hello messages
| | |-+  Newbie/Need some information!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie/Need some information!  (Read 2688 times)
SrTank
Owners Club member

« on: 08 November, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »

Own 05 l200 Animal and have recently had the head gasket replaced as it had perished (work not done by me).

SInce the engine has been put back together I've had a problem with the engine missing at idle. When driving everything feels smooth with I'd say a slight lack of power up hill. (Also smokes a lot at idle and bellow 1500rpm)

I have replaced glow plugs as the truck wouldn't fire up so
Well but now starts fine but misses, I have also blanked off EGR and no improvement on misfire.

Recently had and mot with a local garage and they found 2.5 excess litres of oil in then engine! I will be having words with the guy who did the gasket!

I have recently read a thread on here about an 02 l200 with the same problem s and a simple fuel pump tweak cured the miss fire but is the 02 model a fbw like mine?

Any ideas if just calibrating all the timing would cure this?

55 Animal Black double cab 44k miles
EGR/cooler delete
Silicone Intercooler hoses
Catch can
De-cat
Allisport intercooler
nickburt
European Wanderer
Global Moderator & Charity Fundraiser

Where will the Pheonix take us next?

« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2015, 17:34:56 PM »

Sounds like the fuel pump timing is out.  When fitting the timing belt tensioner, it's dead easy (and commonly done) to get the pump out by a tooth.
Should always check the timing after fitting the belt by rotating the engine by hand a couple of revs and check all the marks still line up.

Black 2004 Warrior. Gallery

Entry No ?? in the 2017 Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
To sponsor Team L200: Donate to Macmillan TBA
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2015, 18:36:38 PM »

as nik B just said,

it was my post  you read, its easy to slacken 4 bolts on the pump and rotate it towards to engine, advancing the timing, works on all pumps

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2015, 18:41:44 PM »

Pump timing marks need to be right first, then the pump can be fine tuned using a dial gauge to get the injection timing spot on.

SrTank
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2015, 18:05:47 PM »

as nik B just said,

it was my post  you read, its easy to slacken 4 bolts on the pump and rotate it towards to engine, advancing the timing, works on all pumps

When I took a look at my pump it was different, I have a bosh Ve on my defender and I've tweaked that myself before. I also took timing case off and saw the cogs where not aligned properly so I believe this is my problem!

EGR/cooler delete
Catch can
De-cat
Allisport intercooler
SrTank
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2015, 18:11:47 PM »

Sounds like the fuel pump timing is out.  When fitting the timing belt tensioner, it's dead easy (and commonly done) to get the pump out by a tooth.
Should always check the timing after fitting the belt by rotating the engine by hand a couple of revs and check all the marks still line up.

In order to turn the engine by hand il need to remove timing case and belt correct?

EGR/cooler delete
Catch can
De-cat
Allisport intercooler
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2015, 20:37:12 PM »

Sounds like the fuel pump timing is out.  When fitting the timing belt tensioner, it's dead easy (and commonly done) to get the pump out by a tooth.

In order to turn the engine by hand il need to remove timing case and belt correct?

Nope - 19mm socket on the crank pulley bolt.

But you'll need the timing covers off to check the timing marks.

SrTank
Owners Club member

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2015, 21:11:01 PM »

Sounds like the fuel pump timing is out.  When fitting the timing belt tensioner, it's dead easy (and commonly done) to get the pump out by a tooth.

I had the top timing case of yesterday and I would definitely say timing is out based on the marks! Thanks for the help though.

EGR/cooler delete
Catch can
De-cat
Allisport intercooler
SrTank
Owners Club member

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2015, 18:03:34 PM »

[/quote

One more thing. Does the 19mm crank bolt need to come off to remove harmonic balancer?

EGR/cooler delete
Catch can
De-cat
Allisport intercooler
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »

You need to remove the bottom pulley to get the lower timing cover off.  So yes, it needs to come out for any work on the timing belts etc...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: