Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
15 December, 2017, 12:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
160335 Posts in 18251 Topics by 11340 Members
www.L200.org.uk
The L200 Owners Club joining fee is a one-off 15. Paypal is available (Send funds to chris@L200.org.uk).
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Newbie/Hello messages
| | |-+  Hi from Wiltshire
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi from Wiltshire  (Read 3075 times)
Darmain

« on: 18 November, 2015, 22:53:50 PM »

Hi, I am an newbie to the forum.  I'm from Wiltshire and I've recently purchased a series 4 L200 Barbarian Black on a 64 plate.  Previous to that I had a 55 plate Shogun Sport for 4 years which I loved, apart from its 26MPG.  It gave me great service and encouraged me to buy another Mitzi.  I would have bought another Sport if they were still in manufacture.  I don't off road, well once in a blue moon maybe.  Main rolls are being my "truck", pulling our wobbly box and occasional trailer duties.  I went a bit mad by getting such a new wagon but I had worked hard and felt I needed a treat, which also happens once in a blue moon.  The new truck is actually Black.  I'm not sure if they did "Barbarian Black" models in other colours but matter not as it lives up to its name.  It has a box over the back with a tail gate so to kep the worst of the weather out the back.

I am pleased with the quality of the truck, which is as comfortable as a road car but as practical as a small lorry.  The gadgets and features are great.  The engine is heavily mucked about with by the emissions conscious ECU, but aren't most cars these days!!  I have yet to make up my mind if switching off the traction control improves the response of the engine.  I would prefer it switched off as I want to control the car, not wait for some computer to slap my wrists.  In contrast the Sport was dangerous with its high torque output and rear LSD.  I had to drive it with the expectation of the backend drifting.  I could handle it but I banned the wife from driving it!!   Having said all this the L200 power plant has stacks of power and plenty more than I need for general day to day work. Being a member of our local 4X4 Response group I have additional work in mind for it.

Sadly all is not a bed of roses.  The L200 is not well and its going back to the dealer on Friday for initial investigation.  Meanwhile I thought I would try posting to this forum to try a few ideas.

Two issues.

First.  I have had two incidents in the last month of owning the truck where I had all gear gates lock so that I couldn't select any gear and was stuck in neutral.  In both occasions, although I suspect coincidence, I was sideways across the road, either reversing into a drive, or reversing as part of a three-point turn.  In both occasions I was racing to get the car moving to avoid on-coming traffic, which would not have been a problem if the gears had worked correctly.  I determined that the clutch was definitely to the floor, so it wasn't clutch drag.  I tried spinning the input shaft in neutral but this made no difference.  The only way I could get out of trouble was repeatedly hammering against the blocked gates until one opened up.  In both occasions I managed to get first.  In the second incident I had to drive over the path and onto grass to get out of the way of traffic.  Once I had one gear then all the gears became available.  I cannot identify any action that I did to cause this.  As in both cases I had turned hard right I suspected this may have something to do with it, but what that might be is not any mechanism I have ever come across in any car.  I am pretty sure that in both cases I was in "Open 4HI", but again I cannot see how this could affect the gear selection on the main box.  It sounds like selector issues to be fair.

Second.  The diff lock sticks in the engaged position for ages after the transfer leaver has deselected it.  I also get problems when moving from open 4HI to 2HI with the disengagement lagging, I assume this is the dog clutch on the front axle.

Talking to the garage they had the following to say.  The main gearbox has a fault and needs to come out and be stripped.  I have no argument with the first part but I am not going to accept that a year old gearbox with 12000 miles is stripped and rebuilt.  Put simply, it should not have failed and I want a new one.  This battle is yet to begin.  They went on to say that the diff lock and 4HI to 2HI delay was due to a lack of use.  Again I find it hard to believe that a year old car would suffer this.

So, do I have a dodgy truck, or am experiencing characteristics of the L200 which can be worked round?

I was well pleased with my new toy and it is such a shame that it has been tarnished by these problems.

Best regards,
Dave
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2015, 22:59:34 PM »

new shape owners! FORWARD  Grin

welcome to the OC

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
Mad4Life
Owners Club member

++SE Regional Rep++Always here to help++

« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2015, 18:12:39 PM »

hi and welcome.
I am just up the road in Newbury
Dont know much about the new shape gearboxs but do know there was a problem with the ''plastic'' bush that the gear sticks sit in ontop of the selector rods  which cracks and stops the gears from being selected easy, and some did suffer from over heating (not sure this is your problem) on autos only i think, get the garage to remove the gear sticks first and check the location plastic cups
Hoipe your proble3m is soloved quickly and you get back behind the wheel soon

''Engineering is about finding answers to problems that don't create further problems''
----Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration---
Macmillan Cancer Support (http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-BarnesL200)
bootsie
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2015, 19:21:56 PM »

Good luck with trying to get them to change for a new gearbox, the super select 4wd is all part of the 'box' which makes it very expensive compared to what may be a simple repair of selector forks.
As Mark says above there have been problems with the plastic cup at the base of the 4wd stick. Usually it breaks and sticks in a gear. Caused by changing 4hl into 4h locked, as it says on the label the gear stick needs to be pushed downwards when making that change otherwise the plastic cup bangs against the metal moulding and smashes the brittle plastic. If that is the case they will see it easily when they take the gearbox out and dea;ers usually replace the gearstick and cup as a one piece part (350) as the plastic cup is not available as single item.

5/06 new shape warrior from new 60k, leather interior, air con, pegasus canopy, plastic sliding bed,towbar,Avenger A bar, camera,sensors,cruise control and few bits of bling.daily use as car that carries everything. including building supplies and bike trailer.
bootsie
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2015, 19:41:09 PM »

Re slow selection from 4h to 2h, the light does flash to indicate changing but gear should actually change straight away. normally change in or out of 4wd whilst the truck is moving below 62mph as it is designed. It will have a pause if you change whilst stationary.

5/06 new shape warrior from new 60k, leather interior, air con, pegasus canopy, plastic sliding bed,towbar,Avenger A bar, camera,sensors,cruise control and few bits of bling.daily use as car that carries everything. including building supplies and bike trailer.
Darmain

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2015, 08:10:59 AM »

Thanks for the comments.  Today the truck goes back into the dealer.  As far as I'm concerned it's under warranty so they can make it good.  Whatever the cost is I am not interested as I'm not paying it.  If they suggest otherwise then they will find they will be refunding my money and they get themselves a broken car that is not fit for purpose.
Darmain

« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2015, 23:25:59 PM »

Hi. Lots on at the moment so haven't managed to report on the garage visit on Friday.  Long story short, they test drove the car then came back to say that they could find nothing wrong.  If it happens again then bring the car in and a mechanic will come out with me driving the car to show him how i lock up the box!!  Listen, says I, I can't just make it go wrong.  It does it by itself.  Its done it twice in a month.  There is no point in Mr mechanic coming out with me as he'll just get a nice drive about while being paid for it.  The chances of it going wrong during that time is remote.  Then I was asked about if the gearbox was notchy.  Yes, I would say it was.  Ah, that's because its a commercial gearbox, not as refined as a normal car!!  I believe I am hearing Balony here.  Then I asked about the diff lock jamming.  Oh you must never us the diff lock on road.  Yes, I know that, which is why when I select diff lock to discover how the box works, I then disengage it and it won't disengage.  I tried wobbling the steering, reversing etc.  I know how to drive a 4x4.  I consider all of this a major fob off.  Would you agree?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: