Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
25 September, 2017, 10:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
160039 Posts in 18170 Topics by 11248 Members
www.L200.org.uk
L200 Owners Club Members, please make sure we know your Forum/User name - This will allow us to grant you full access to  this forum
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Engine will not run!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Engine will not run!!  (Read 10990 times)
black8898
Owners Club member

« on: 02 December, 2015, 16:03:06 PM »

Hi everyone

Have a 2003 L200 fitted with the 4D56 engine, had just driven the truck half a mile to where we keep our horses, left the engine running whilst we unloaded feed etc. and the engine just died so tried to start it and although it was trying to start and did on one occasion start and run very rough before dying again also noticed that glow plug light was not working.
So opened the bonnet and started checking fuses and found the fuse number 11 (Engine 20amp) had blown so made a temporary repair to that and then the glow plug light worked but engine would still not start, and to date after reading of others who have suffered similar problems I have tried the stop sensor which all appears to be working fine fuel is up to the pump and injectors and that is about as far as I have come so far, did jump in and buy a Scanner to test for fault codes which cost me 260 but in my ignorance did not realise that my model of truck needs an MUT-II scanner whereas the one I bought is for the later ones that use OBD-II .

Anyway any more guidance on where to go to now would be much appreciated.
Alan
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2015, 16:05:24 PM »

scanners for your truck are 60 so best return that one,

check timing covers and bottom pulley for damage

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2015, 16:39:59 PM »

Should have said that I did also check all the obvious things like cam belt, timing covers etc. no damage anywhere, should also say that this truck has only done 65,000 miles from new and at best now only does some 50 miles a week and has never been used off road.

Point me in the right direction for a scanner to suit my truck would be very happy to return this laptop and bluetooth thing that I have already purchased.
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2015, 17:55:29 PM »

nickburt will link you the goody

do you have am EML on then? and have you got a proper 20A fuse to replace it yet?

need a fault code really not heard of that fuse blowing before

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2015, 18:12:21 PM »

Yes fuse replaced with correct one now, cannot get fault codes without the correct scanner, as for lights on dash they all come on as normal and the ones that should go out after a few seconds do so but as it will not run cannot tell if any would come back on when it is running.

Have checked to make sure there is no water in fuel filter etc. but all good clean diesel came out and no signs of any water.

As I said the truck started normally and was driven half a mile down the road left engine running whilst we took the hay off and then the engine just  died and would not start, glow plug light did not work until I found the fuse that had blown and made a temporary repair of it then the glow light worked but would not start still.
Be handy to have the correct scanner so that I could see if there are some error codes that come up that would help diagnose the problem, are the scanners available from this country (UK) for quick delivery? 
nickburt
European Wanderer
Global Moderator & Charity Fundraiser

Where will the Pheonix take us next?

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2015, 19:46:20 PM »

This scanner will read and reset engine ECU codes.
Ignore most of what it says about it - it works ....
It won't read the ABS, SRS etc... so somewhat limited, but at least it will read engine codes.

Unless you've had the EML on, there will be no codes.  (unless there's some old ones that haven't previously been reset).

This is one of those problems that could take a few "guesses" to find the one that's stopping it starting, unless there is a fualt code stored.

If you weren't watching the dash when it stalled, then it's worth checking for codes first.

Black 2004 Warrior. Gallery

Entry No ?? in the 2017 Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
To sponsor Team L200: Donate to Macmillan TBA
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2015, 20:09:21 PM »

Can you supply me with a suitable scanner? how do i go about getting it? let me know details and where to send the payment and shall make immediate payment.
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2015, 22:54:11 PM »

Can you supply me with a suitable scanner? how do i go about getting it? let me know details and where to send the payment and shall make immediate payment.

Unfortunately, you'll need to do what I, and others, have done and buy one from the Ebay link in my last post.  I'll take a few days to arrive though.

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2015, 23:24:13 PM »

click "buy it now"  Grin

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2015, 23:36:26 PM »

Maybe going blind but did not see any ebay link in you last post to me
L200PEA
Owners Club member

« Reply #10 on: 02 December, 2015, 23:44:06 PM »

click on the THIS  and it will work

2003, 53 L200 4Life
Red/silver
Mitsi rear cover
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2015, 00:06:07 AM »

Ok I am going blind have found the scanner that you are talking about, now not doubting your word but it says that it is for Mitsubishi petrol engines only, the other thing that i cannot get my head round is that after reading about these scanners and please do not think that I am doubting your word but they are OBD2 scanners exactly what I have now, same 16 pin plug so why should one be suitable and one not? I am not bothered about reading anything except engine codes the rest is of no interest to me, as I say if the are both OBD 2 then surely the one that I have just bought should do the job? I do not know and have to be guided by your knowledge on these things.
Panther

« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2015, 00:41:06 AM »

What injection pump have you got? Got a similar problem
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2015, 00:48:39 AM »

Sorry could not tell you what pump is fitted at the moment but would have thought they were all the same on the earlier model, my pump is working on my truck so the problem is elswhere which is why I have now purchased another scanner to try and find the fault codes which i am hoping tells me what my problem is.
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »

does the engine light come on when u turn the key?

2005 4 Life
Blue over Silver Double Cab
K&N Apollo EGR removed S/S De-Cat Armadillo Roller Shutter Boost gauge Wax-oiled and under-sealed Interior blue LED's Roll bars
2 Led spots 2 search lights 4 work lights with red angle eyes 7" screen for trailer cams Stereo with flip down screen

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »

Ok I am going blind have found the scanner that you are talking about, now not doubting your word but it says that it is for Mitsubishi petrol engines only, the other thing that i cannot get my head round is that after reading about these scanners and please do not think that I am doubting your word but they are OBD2 scanners exactly what I have now, same 16 pin plug so why should one be suitable and one not? I am not bothered about reading anything except engine codes the rest is of no interest to me, as I say if the are both OBD 2 then surely the one that I have just bought should do the job? I do not know and have to be guided by your knowledge on these things.

nick says it works Wink

and your engine is based ona petrol engine,kind of

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #16 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:07:07 AM »

Purchased scanner and should be here by the middle of next week so then I can check to see if there are any fault codes.

Will update as soon as the scanner has arrived.
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #17 on: 03 December, 2015, 13:26:25 PM »

As I said, it works for engine codes.  Don't worry about what it says in the advert.

The L200 is not OBD compliant, but then many earlier Mits petrol engines aren't.

It's not the type of vehicle that matters, it's the communication protocol that does.

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #18 on: 04 December, 2015, 22:19:05 PM »

Just a quick question, behind the left hand front kick panel there is the glow relay and another small electronic box (not the ECU) could someone tell me what this is for please?
Thanks
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #19 on: 04 December, 2015, 22:48:08 PM »

there is the engine relay the 4wd ecu a chip if u have one fitted

2005 4 Life
K&N Apollo EGR removed S/S De-Cat Armadillo Roller Shutter Boost gauge Wax-oiled and under-sealed Interior blue LED's Roll bars
2 Led spots 2 search lights 4 work lights with red angle eyes 7" screen for trailer cams Stereo with flip down screen

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #20 on: 07 December, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »

Does the fuel filter warning light normally come on when the ignition switch is turned on?HuhHuhHuh As my wife uses this vehicle all the time it is not something that she says she has noticed as like most people she just gets in waits for the heater light to go out and starts it so if someone could answer that for me please.
Also now whilst waiting for my code scanner to arrive I have been checking the wiring in the engine bay and all the fuses etc. and as this fuel light came on I decided to change the fuel filter and at the same time check to make sure that there was no water in the fuel which I am glad to say that there was not any to be seen, engine does still try to run and on occasions it does run but very rough and stops again after a few seconds so until my scanner arrives I am a little stuck and I certainly do not want to start changing this that and the other only to find that it is still the same.
tmw4562
Owners Club member

« Reply #21 on: 07 December, 2015, 12:31:48 PM »

Yes it lights up until it turns over then it goes out

Red L200 Barbarian Black, Carbon Mitsubishi Rims, heated seats,
Rear camera and parking sensors. BFG A/T KO 265/70/17s, EGR Bonnet Guard
241 BHP upgrade
Stainless steel 3" exhaust (soon to be fitted)
Full LED light kit
Folding Mirrors from keyfob
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #22 on: 07 December, 2015, 15:21:19 PM »

Just a quick question, behind the left hand front kick panel there is the glow relay and another small electronic box (not the ECU) could someone tell me what this is for please?
Thanks

Glow relay is in the engine bay, just behind the battery.  Big round one with two insulated terminals on top.

Passenger side kick panel (A pillar), the only relays are the rear window demister, the intermitent wiper and power windows relays.
ECUs on the passenger side A pillar are: Engine (deisel only, petrol is on the drivers side A pillar), ABS (if fitted), 4wd, Rear Diff Lock, Glow, Intercooler fan.
If you have a power upgrade, the standard Mits ones, either "normal" or "Rallyart", they will also be on the passenger A pillar.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #23 on: 07 December, 2015, 15:30:18 PM »

This is sounding more and more like a timing issue.

When you checked the timing belts, did you remove both the upper and lower covers?  It's the only way to see the timing marks on the crankshaft, the lower cover has to come off.
When you checked the timing belts, were there two - one for the crank/cam/fuel pump and one for the crank/balance shafts?

Sorry, might be stating the obvious and you've already done all this, but ......

Also, if you go in the tech area, there's a How do I? for reading fault codes off the pin outs of the 16 pin connector.  BUT, you do need to ba absolutely sure which way up ypur connector has been fitted, to makes sure you're dabbing wires onto the correct pins.

When you have had it running, is the ECU light on?  If not, the chances are it hasn't stored a fault code, so the scanner is going to tell you nothing.  But, having said that, some codes do get stored, even if the problem has gone away.  Except when you disconnect the battery, the ECU will usuallly forget all codes stored.  Remember, these things are not EOB compliant, so they do not play by the rules .........

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #24 on: 07 December, 2015, 16:52:20 PM »

Must be honest have not got that involved with the truck yet so have only checked that the top belt was there and that the valves were moving which they all were as for the bottom belt again being honest did not know there was one as i have no manual as of yet but have ordered one from Chris so hopefully that will be here tomorrow and give me some idea as to what the layout of engine is etc.

Hopefully it will be something as simple as a belt, well as simple as I can handle these days and then i can get the wife off of my back and have some peace and quiet, will let you know how I get on.

If it is a belt can I get one through the club?HuhHuhHuh?
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #25 on: 07 December, 2015, 17:01:22 PM »

Must be honest have not got that involved with the truck yet so have only checked that the top belt was there and that the valves were moving which they all were as for the bottom belt again being honest did not know there was one as i have no manual as of yet but have ordered one from Chris so hopefully that will be here tomorrow and give me some idea as to what the layout of engine is etc.

Hopefully it will be something as simple as a belt, well as simple as I can handle these days and then i can get the wife off of my back and have some peace and quiet, will let you know how I get on.

If it is a belt can I get one through the club?HuhHuhHuh?

I'd be checking the timing fully.  Has been known for the timing to jump, or for the balance belt to snap and take the tiing belt with it, or make it jump a tooth or two.  Without checking all the timing marks properly, you're stabbing in the dark.
Timing belt kits are best bought from either a good motor factor, or Fleabay - Gates Belts do a good kit that has both belts and tensioners.  But check timing first, before buying.

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #26 on: 08 December, 2015, 16:32:26 PM »

Can someone tell me if the later L200 models are OBD compliant? by later models from 2005 onwards.
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #27 on: 08 December, 2015, 16:34:51 PM »

Can someone tell me if the later L200 models are OBD compliant? by later models from 2005 onwards.

Yes, new shape, 2006 onwards are OBD compliant.

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #28 on: 09 December, 2015, 19:33:22 PM »

Today i took your advice and took off the top and bottom covers to check the timing, main timing belt not as tight as it should be but all timing marks lined up but what I did find was the other toothed belt for balance shaft was damaged and on the verge of breaking now although it was this bad it was still turning shafts etc. and again was on the loose side so not sure if being a bit slack would have suddenly caused the engine to cut out and then not start any more, could understand if it had jumped a couple of teeth.
just thought that I just took the balance shaft belt off without checking for any timing marks, I take it that this does have timing marks? if it does and that had jumped a couple of teeth would that cause my problems?
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #29 on: 09 December, 2015, 20:14:26 PM »

Balance shafts belt does have timing marks, but that won't stop it starting.
Timing belt being loose won't help, but if the timing marks are pretty much lining up, it should run.

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #30 on: 09 December, 2015, 20:17:58 PM »

Well I am going to fit all new belts and tensioners and a new sensing blade as that was out of shape and a new sensor whilst I have it all stripped down and then once all belts etc. fitted will try and start it again and see what happens.
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #31 on: 10 December, 2015, 15:34:01 PM »

hoping the sensor fixes it

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #32 on: 11 December, 2015, 16:40:28 PM »

Have now ordered all the parts for my truck and should be delivered Monday/Tuesday so that i can get on, do have a question that hopefully someone can answer for me though, my truck is a 2003 L200 Animal, what BHP is this model? I think it is 134 but not sure so id someone could tell would be very grateful.
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #33 on: 11 December, 2015, 16:51:03 PM »

...................... my truck is a 2003 L200 Animal, what BHP is this model? I think it is 134 but not sure so id someone could tell would be very grateful.

Only if it has a power upgrade fitted, which being an Animal, it probably has.

black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #34 on: 11 December, 2015, 16:52:52 PM »

How can I tell if it has a power upgrade??? if it has not had a power upgrade what BHP would it be???
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #35 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:02:50 AM »

The reason I need to know if this truck has had a power upgrade is that there is no reason to buy a power upgrde if it already has this, the reason I need to know what the BHP is without the a power upgrade is so that I know what to expect from a power upgrade, hope that makes sense.
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #36 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »

pasenger footwell take the lower kick pannel off and u will see the chip there below the ecu if fitted

2005 4 Life

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #37 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »

All that I can find with the ECU is the glow relay and what I think is something to do with the 4 wheel drive system as when I unplug this the green 4x4 light on the dash goes out.
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #38 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »

it has no chip fitted then that is where they get fitted silver box lift the carpet in the pasenger foot well they get stuck to the sound deading either on top or below it

2005 4 Life

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
black8898
Owners Club member

« Reply #39 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »

No nothing there either, so then it looks like it does not have the power upgrade all I need to know now is what the BHP of my truck is then I can try and sort out an upgrade package.

Was thinking of going to Tunit but not sure if anyone else has tried them and what they think of it.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: