Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
17 August, 2017, 07:02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
159873 Posts in 18130 Topics by 11194 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Can any L200 Owners Club member who moves house or changes their Email address make sure they let us know - so we can keep our records up-to-date
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Newbie/Hello messages
| | |-+  I was just about to hand over the cash when.......
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I was just about to hand over the cash when.......  (Read 2629 times)
DueNorth

« on: 08 December, 2015, 21:39:54 PM »

Hi Guys

new to the forum & to L200's & looking for some advice please

I test drove a 2011 barbarian last week( & was convinced enough to sign on the dotted line)-but just before I did, I met a guy that had had an L200 (2010 I think) and reckoned it handled very very poorly in the wet?-(death trap was the word he used!)

I would be buying it through my company so obvious tax advantages  etc- but just wondering if anyone can give me any reassurance - I imagined that there could be issues when unladen (being rwd )-but-are they really that bad?

Thanks in advance for your help
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2015, 21:44:11 PM »

he probably had rubbish tyres on it,   sure any rwd can be fun/hard to handle in the wet with no weight over the rear axle,  dont let that put u off

2005 4 Life
Blue over Silver Double Cab
K&N Apollo EGR removed S/S De-Cat Armadillo Roller Shutter Boost gauge Wax-oiled and under-sealed Interior blue LED's Roll bars
2 Led spots 2 search lights 4 work lights with red angle eyes 7" screen for trailer cams Stereo with flip down screen

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2015, 22:22:46 PM »

cant speak for new shapes but they have all form of traction control, ABS, and all that other stuff that our old classics dont have, and I love driving my classic in the wet, it handles as you would expect, goes where you point the tyres unless you wanna get tail happy and then its fairly controllable, (did a lovely powerslide out of a busy junction today in the wet because I wanted to, and didn't feel at all in danger,  all terrains are probably the best on road for these trucks..

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
nickburt
European Wanderer
Global Moderator & Charity Fundraiser

Where will the Pheonix take us next?

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2015, 22:23:15 PM »

Get rid of the standard road tyres and put some decent ATs onit and it'll transform it.

Black 2004 Warrior. Gallery

Entry No ?? in the 2017 Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
To sponsor Team L200: Donate to Macmillan TBA
tmw4562
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2015, 00:33:11 AM »

As above get some decent A/T tyres

Havent had my Barbarian that long, but first thing i did was to change the tyres, and have it chipped.
I find it a lot better to drive than my old classic, and a lot safer in the wet, i just stick it in 4WD (which can be done on any road surface)
and never had the back end go on me.

Red L200 Barbarian Black, Carbon Mitsubishi Rims, heated seats,
Rear camera and parking sensors. BFG A/T KO 265/70/17s, EGR Bonnet Guard
241 BHP upgrade
Stainless steel 3" exhaust (soon to be fitted)
Full LED light kit
Folding Mirrors from keyfob
DueNorth

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »

Thanks for all of the advice-much appreciated-

I like the idea of sliding around offroad in the mud & snow....when you are expecting it- (I had a  '96 mitsu delica back in 2002 & loved it (except for the 18mpg bit)- but the unexpected sliding in the wet scares the feck out of me!-I'm never really gonna have that much weight in the back & (unfortunately) I've never been someone that sees sliding sideways around a roundabout in traffic as fun-lol!

It sounds like with a decent set of At's & the electronic wizardry & in 4x4...... I might just about survive!

Is it worth sticking a few bags of sand in the back in the bad weather?-or would the amount you need to add to make an appreciable diference to the roadholding be stupidly huge?

Thanks again for the help

Marchy
Owners Club member

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2015, 13:54:05 PM »

Put some BFG AT's on it and away you go had my Barbie from new 2011 never had any problem ;-)

L200 Barbarian White Utility Top
nickburt
European Wanderer
Global Moderator & Charity Fundraiser

Where will the Pheonix take us next?

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2015, 14:32:05 PM »

Just drive sensibly and with consideration for the road conditions.   Roll Eyes   They're fine. 

Black 2004 Warrior. Gallery

Entry No ?? in the 2017 Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
To sponsor Team L200: Donate to Macmillan TBA
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2015, 14:51:46 PM »

yea with a bit of skill your fine, I dont slid unless I choose too, as for weight..

you need about 200kg's to start to feel the difference, put it all at the back by the tailgate to get the most effect out of the least weight...

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
Rocks703
Owners Club member

« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2015, 15:31:23 PM »

I have to agree with the rest A/t's are the way to go. The traction control is very good too, I hit some black ice on a corner on busy industrial estate and it kicked it. It stopped me from having an expensive repair.

2017 Barbarian in Cosmos Black, Bedrug, Truckman Tonneau Cover with Rollbar, BFG's 265/70/17 and a big smiley face!
DueNorth

« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2015, 16:50:41 PM »

Thanks everyone for the advice

yea with a bit of skill your fine, I dont slid unless I choose too, as for weight..

you need about 200kg's to start to feel the difference, put it all at the back by the tailgate to get the most effect out of the least weight...

Unfortunately I am not in possession of any skill Shocked -so i will probably be relying on technology.......bags of sand....... and a good slice of luck!
benshepherd
Owners Club member

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2015, 18:24:06 PM »

I have a new shape and do not find it problematic in the wet.  When i first bought it 9 years ago I did find the rear a bit twitchy on wet roads but that was on the standard Dueller tyres.  Now using Cooper AT3s and it is so so much better.  Also the traction control on the new shape really does a great job of keeping the rear under control.  If it is really slippery roads then I do put it in 4wd - it is fine to do that on the new shape with the super select box whereas on the classic it would not be ok to use 4wd on tarmac.  The rear end however is never going to be quite as well planted as in a normal car.
As for extra weight in the back, I don't find that necessary just on wet uk roads.  I had my L200 in the Falklands for a year and on unfinished deeply potholed roads at 50+ mph it was dreadful to the point of being scary at times and I put in about 300+kg of sand bags in it which vastly improved the situation.  However, never felt the need in the UK to do that.
Ben.

2006 Animal Series 4 (B40)
2 inch strut spacers with extra stiff springs
Ball joint spacers
Monroe Adventure front shocks
Extended lower bump stops
2 inch extended rear shackles
ES-9000 +2 rear shocks
285/75/16 Cooper STTs
16x10 modulars with -32 offset
Asfir underbody plates
Agrituning power upgrade