Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
23 November, 2017, 05:27:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
160241 Posts in 18221 Topics by 11315 Members
www.L200.org.uk
L200 Owners Club Members, please make sure we know your Forum/User name - This will allow us to grant you full access to  this forum
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Newbie/Hello messages
| | |-+  2005 warrior 2.5D overheating
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2005 warrior 2.5D overheating  (Read 5734 times)
Ganers
Owners Club member

« on: 13 December, 2015, 14:24:26 PM »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and have problems with my 05 warrior 2.5d. It started with a split water pipe round the back of the rocker cover and so overheated, I've repaired that but since then the truck keeps over heating. I back filled it and ran it on tick over and it was fine, a short test run which previously would have overheated was also fine so I thiught it was sorted.
However it's over heating again, I've noticed that the over flow tank has bubbles in it, and the top hose pressures up till you can't squeeze it, it then chucks hot water out of the over flow pipe and the pressure is released.
It's not long had a water pump fitted" I've checked the thermostat and that opens and closes when dipped in boiling water, I can't see any scum in the rad or oil filler cap, nor water/smoke out the exhaust.
After trawling the net I'm thinking the head gasket has gone or worse still the head itself, can anyone more knowledgeable give me an opinion before I start tearing the head down. It's done about 80k and runs great ontickiver and moving till it starts over heating.

Cheers Lee.

2005 Warrior in black.Suspension lift. Big boots. 3" roll bar. Armadillo roller. Remote central locking. Rear camera and parking sensors. Chrome rear bars. Chrome side steps. EGR removed. And thinking what else.
bootsie
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2015, 15:35:58 PM »

Sounds like the head, hopefully just the gasket. If you have the head off have it pressure tested before you replace the gasket, worth the few pounds it costs to save re-doing the job if it has a crack in the head (hopefully not) . If you haven't already done it, remove the EGR and EGR cooling tank and use the blanking kit. The cooling fins inside the EGR tank are known to go porous after a time and allow air to pressurise in the system.

5/06 new shape warrior from new 60k, leather interior, air con, pegasus canopy, plastic sliding bed,towbar,Avenger A bar, camera,sensors,cruise control and few bits of bling.daily use as car that carries everything. including building supplies and bike trailer.
Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2015, 16:15:13 PM »

Cheers Bootsi,
I haven't took it off yet, Ill try the EGR first as that's a quick job to do, is there a way to just bypass it to test it or does it need the kit to properly blank it.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers Lee.

2005 Warrior in black.Suspension lift. Big boots. 3" roll bar. Armadillo roller. Remote central locking. Rear camera and parking sensors. Chrome rear bars. Chrome side steps. EGR removed. And thinking what else.
bootsie
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2015, 16:31:27 PM »

You could just by pass it but the kit is available on e bay for less than 10.

5/06 new shape warrior from new 60k, leather interior, air con, pegasus canopy, plastic sliding bed,towbar,Avenger A bar, camera,sensors,cruise control and few bits of bling.daily use as car that carries everything. including building supplies and bike trailer.
Michael.Merritt
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2015, 17:10:27 PM »

Hi, definitely worth taking off the EGR cooler asap.  I had exactly the same symptoms with mine and unfortunately it was the head gasket.  The distance between the cooling passage and the bore is quite small, so the cylinder pressurises the cooling system and forces the coolant out of the overflow.  I had a new head fitted which pushes the price up quite a bit.  I paid 1700 for the work to be done and now have an oil leak from the head gasket.  I'm going to look at getting another engine from Milners.
Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2015, 19:50:18 PM »

Well gents,

EGR blanking kit has been ordered.

Cheers Lee,

123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #6 on: 13 December, 2015, 22:03:34 PM »

Lee where u from mate?

2005 4 Life
Blue over Silver Double Cab
K&N Apollo EGR removed S/S De-Cat Armadillo Roller Shutter Boost gauge Wax-oiled and under-sealed Interior blue LED's Roll bars
2 Led spots 2 search lights 4 work lights with red angle eyes 7" screen for trailer cams Stereo with flip down screen

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #7 on: 14 December, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »

check your fan is spinning hard, (you can hear it in the cab at 3k rpm when you think its overheating, that will test that

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2015, 16:28:04 PM »

Hi all.
Sorry for delay in replying.
Right I've fitted to blanking kit and it's still bubbling into header tank and chucking water out of the rad when warm and reved with the cap off.
I'm getting ready to tear down the head and hope it's the gasket. Has anyone any advice on gaskets and head, where to buy etc. I've priced them anywhere from 160 for a bear head new on eBay. To 205 +vat at milners.
I'm in Bolton. Lancs
Cheers Lee

bootsie
Owners Club member

« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2015, 17:24:08 PM »

Milners as good as any, hopefully you wont need the head. Be sure to get the 'metal' head gasket from Milners. Worth doing new  timing belts at a same time if funds run to it.

Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2015, 19:42:56 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get the torque and sequence for head refitting?
Cheers Lee.

bootsie
Owners Club member

« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2015, 21:33:34 PM »

Its in the 'How To' section Nickburt wrote a good post on it.

Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2016, 19:18:20 PM »

Hi all.
Finally got the head off, and there is definitely a failure on the gasket which is the fibre type. The head itself looks ok but it's off being tested and skimmed if it passes. I've up graded my membership and the info available is brilliant, however I can not find the how to for replacing the head and torque settings etc, can some one point a blind man in the right direction.

Cheers Lee.

nickburt
European Wanderer
Global Moderator & Charity Fundraiser

Where will the Pheonix take us next?

« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2016, 17:38:25 PM »

See hear.

Black 2004 Warrior. Gallery

Entry No ?? in the 2017 Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
To sponsor Team L200: Donate to Macmillan TBA
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:58:38 AM »

fibre gaskets tho Grin Grin

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »

Use the metal gasket (from Milners), NOT a fibre one, and torque down as explained in the post I linked to.

Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »

Metal one on order as is glow plugs belts etc. Cheers for that your a star.

Michael.Merritt
Owners Club member

« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2016, 21:42:15 PM »

Use the metal gasket (from Milners), NOT a fibre one, and torque down as explained in the post I linked to.
My garage had a bit of bad luck with the metal head gasket-it leaked like B******y.  Had to to the job again and use the fibre gasket.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #18 on: 16 January, 2016, 23:29:23 PM »

My garage had a bit of bad luck with the metal head gasket-it leaked like B******y.  Had to to the job again and use the fibre gasket.

Then they did something wrong.  Never had a problem with metal head gasgets in over 10 years of messing with L200s.

Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #19 on: 30 January, 2016, 18:41:42 PM »

Well gentlemen.
I got the head back, skimmed and tested, refitted it with the metal gasket and blanked off the egr. So far it running spot on but due to being off road I have not give it a good run yet, but no more bubbles or over heating so it looks good.
One thing though, when taking the head off I found some of the bolts on the right hand side ver either very loose or at a very low torque, whilst the others were bloody tight. I don't know its its overheated and stretched the bolts, sounds a bit extreame, or if it's been off before And not put back right, either way it's torqued down proper now.
Thanks everyone for your advice and the joining fee has been money very well spent.
Cheers Lee.

nickburt
European Wanderer

« Reply #20 on: 31 January, 2016, 14:09:14 PM »

Good news.

Sounds like the head bolts weren't torqued properly before.

You did use new bolts didn't you?  The old ones will be stretched and weaked, which could lead to another gasket/head failure.

Ganers
Owners Club member

« Reply #21 on: 02 February, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »

Yeah.
New bolts dropped in with the head set, a right good clean up of the engine bay while we were at to.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: