Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
18 October, 2017, 01:04:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
160104 Posts in 18194 Topics by 11277 Members
www.L200.org.uk
The L200 Owners Club joining fee is a one-off 15. Paypal is available (Send funds to chris@L200.org.uk).
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  4wd coming in when it is hot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4wd coming in when it is hot  (Read 831 times)
Daveinfrance
Owners Club member

« on: 19 June, 2017, 18:11:38 PM »

The 4wd on my truck keeps coming on (partially) when it is a hot day, it starts making a noise like it is not engaged properly and the green light flashes. If I switch into 4wd the noise goes but pulling it back into 2wd does not switch the light off and it stays on 4WD I think. When cold the 4WD works fine and switches in and out as normal. I had a look at the tubes to the vacuum and it all looks okay. As it works when cool I doubt if there is any problem with the solenoid valves, Any thoughts as to what to try?
Supersnail
Owners Club member

Im always in the poo its only the depth that varie

« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2017, 18:39:09 PM »

If its a classic like mine the lever to engage 4x4 is mechanical so it cant be in 4x4 if the lever is in the 2wd position.Oddly enough I live in France and my green light comes on when its hot its done it for years so I just ignore it! Wink

2001 Black\Grey double cab.K&N air filter
Heathen
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2017, 18:52:44 PM »

If you unplug both vacuum pipes from the actuator, the arm will move to the 4wd position - i.e. this is the default position unless vacuum is pulling it to the 2wd position. I'm guessing that the hot weather is causing a leak somewhere in the 2wd vacuum system, or the 2wd solenoid is breaking down cos of the heat - you could also unplug the vacuum pipes on the actuator and make sure the actuator arm moves freely, and check the metal pipes down to it are not blocked. 

The mechanical linkage is to the transfer box and only controls the hi/lo range - if the light is flashing when in 2wd, you are not in 2wd.

02' Single cab (green). 105000 miles
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2017, 22:48:49 PM »

http://www.l200.org.uk/community/index.php?topic=34075.0

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2017, 16:50:20 PM »

Sorry heathen, I disagree the mechanical lever engages 4wd in the transfer box same as a land rover, the vacuum faults as described by Douch are allied to the front diff freewheeling system. My green light has been flashing when its hot for years and I would certainly have done damage by now. Smiley

Heathen
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2017, 18:59:29 PM »

No probs Supersnail Wink I may have got it wrong, but fairly sure not (unless my transfer box is broken) - the front prop is always driven regardless - whether you are in 4wd or not is controlled by whether the front diff is engaged or freewheeling. I'll make a correction to what I said though - if the light is flashing and the transfer lever is in the 2wd position, then the actuator arm has not moved far enough towards the 2wd (freewheeling position) to activate the switch that tells the 4wd ecu that a successful change to 2wd has occured. If it's getting worse it will eventually not be in 2wd regardless of the transfer lever position- I know cos this happened to me doing 70 on the A303. Luckily I had a length of silicon hose with me so was able to bypass the solenoids and plug the vacuum straight into the 2wd actuator nipple which got me home - this is also a handy method of tracing where a fault is if your looking for a blockage between the solenoids and the actuator.

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2017, 23:08:27 PM »

as supersnail said, the transfer box it controlled by the lever, so there is no drive going to the front wheels, but the wheels are spinning up the prop and diff because the actuator has not disengadged them, basically if your vacuum system fails it becomes a series landy, or one of the older pickups without freewheeling hubs

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox

Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »

Douch is right the front prop is not driven at all times it turns because the front diff is not disengaging.  To prove this I have fitted freewheeling hubs to mine so I can manouver the plant trailer in low box on hard ground, because of this neither the front driveshafts or the prop turn when in 2wd . 

Heathen
Owners Club member

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2017, 13:24:51 PM »

Yep - I admit I was wrong there! I hate that Sad. So I guess the vibration when my vacuum system failed was just from the front prop and diff just spinning - but not actually being driven - seemed a bit too harsh for that t the time... So then, would it be quite easy to make a 2wd lo box system for manoeuvring just using the freewheeling axles without bothering with FW hubs? (despite their other benefits).

lensmall

« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2017, 14:10:18 PM »

So I guess the vibration when my vacuum system failed was just from the front prop and diff just spinning - but not actually being driven - seemed a bit too harsh for that t the time... So then,

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

www.golden-slot.com
 gclub
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2017, 18:07:25 PM »

yes if you put a switch in to overide the feed going to the solenoids, you will get the same result as buying free wheeling hubs

Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »

Smartass! I never thought of that Grin

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2017, 17:56:26 PM »

im not smart I have hubs  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: