Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum   KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
15 December, 2017, 12:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
160335 Posts in 18251 Topics by 11340 Members
www.L200.org.uk
L200 Owners Club Members, please make sure we know your Forum/User name - This will allow us to grant you full access to  this forum
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  07 Animal slow starting - has 4 new glowplugs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 07 Animal slow starting - has 4 new glowplugs  (Read 576 times)
whitegold
Owners Club member

« on: 23 September, 2017, 13:47:41 PM »

4d56 Ralliart chip 130000miles - EGR blanked - runs well - doesn't burn oil.

Despite a new set of 4 Millner "Equivalent" glowplugs, the cold starting performance seems very sluggish.
I'd go so far as to say it was starting better before with just 3 functioning NGK plugs.
Tried a couple of heating cycles - makes no difference.
Cranks for at least 5 seconds than starts and idles smoothly but a good spurt of white smoke.

Relay switching is fine, with ecu switching data as expected.
Is it even possible to get the glowplug supply rail off to test them individually in situ?
Or am I going to have to strip the inlet manifold again?
Just cursing that I didn't test/warm the new glow plugs on current a few times before replacing the manifold.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Supersnail
Owners Club member

Im always in the poo its only the depth that varie

« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2017, 15:54:45 PM »

Glow plugs are one of the few Milners products I don't rate NGK are much better.

2001 Black\Grey double cab.K&N air filter
whitegold
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2017, 21:06:25 PM »

Did wonder ........ the NGK with their slim pointy tips have always worked very well in other cars I've had.
I'll be hacked off if turns out that the cheapo's are to blame, I was in a rush to get them the same day.
whitegold
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2017, 20:33:26 PM »

UPDATE:
The temperatures have been around freezing last weekend, and cold starting has become almost impossible.
So I've tested the glow plugs following the official procedures, and found the glow plug rail was open circuit to earth.
(So all FOUR Millner budget plugs have failed - fitted new in September)
The 3 good NGKs that I saved are tested and back in again - and starting is now almost instant.
There's another NGK ordered, I'm sure this will provide a perfect fix.
Supersnail
Owners Club member

Im always in the poo its only the depth that varie

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »

I have had the same set of NGKs in mine for seven years now.Cue immediate breakdown!

2001 Black\Grey double cab.K&N air filter
whitegold
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2017, 13:44:11 PM »

Now finally equipped with a full set of 4 genuine NGKs and cold starting is instant, at the first touch of the key.
No smoking or rattling, just fires up smoothly every time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: