Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum   KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
18 November, 2017, 23:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
160235 Posts in 18221 Topics by 11312 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Can any L200 Owners Club member who moves house or changes their Email address make sure they let us know - so we can keep our records up-to-date
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Weak brakes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weak brakes  (Read 360 times)
fason

« on: 04 November, 2017, 18:09:46 PM »

Hi all
I have an L200 2004 plate and I think that it has weak brakes since new. I have to push very hard the pedal in case of a sudden braking. I have made the three checks shown in the workshop manual for the brake booster and it seems ok. How can l improve them?  Better brake pads- which ones? Stiffer brake hoses? Twin piston calipers from other model? Also in hard braking I feel a high frequency pulsation on the pedal. Is it normal?

Where can I buy the special socket for the front wheels bearings?
pcat

« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2017, 23:30:38 PM »

Are they spongy? When was the fluid changed?

The factory brakes on these trucks are very good, there is no need to make modifications.
Nooks
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2017, 18:04:20 PM »

Check that the sliding pins that hold the moving caliper on the front pads have not seized. This is a favorite!

2002 V6 Triton Auto, Green/Silver, Carry-boy cover, Cookin' on Gas!
Blackburn, Lancs
fason

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2017, 18:40:59 PM »

In case of hard braking they are spongy and the car decelerates   hardly as it was loaded with 1000 kg! Fluid was changed 10 months ago but it didn't make any difference.
Two years ago the pads were changed and the sliding pins were in good condition and the calipers move freely. I wil check them again.
Shottymonster
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2017, 18:49:03 PM »

ill be honest, mine are poor to what i would expect.

they dont "lock" like i would expect them to with no ABS, and i have the twin pots on mine.

id be interested to see the outcome of this one, i was thinking new flexi hoses as i know they perish with age.
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2017, 22:46:54 PM »

change the fluid bleed them up and check the shoe adjustment

2005 4 Life
Blue over Silver Double Cab
K&N Apollo EGR removed S/S De-Cat Armadillo Roller Shutter Boost gauge Wax-oiled and under-sealed Interior blue LED's Roll bars
2 Led spots 2 search lights 4 work lights with red angle eyes 7" screen for trailer cams Stereo with flip down screen

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2017, 20:43:39 PM »

compare to someone elses, I have both twin and single pots and cant notice a difference between them to be honest

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2017, 20:45:28 PM »

my 1st truck has much better brakes than my 2nd 1 has abs 2 does not but 1 has a much better pedal and stops quicker both have twin pots

2005 4 Life
K&N Apollo EGR removed S/S De-Cat Armadillo Roller Shutter Boost gauge Wax-oiled and under-sealed Interior blue LED's Roll bars
2 Led spots 2 search lights 4 work lights with red angle eyes 7" screen for trailer cams Stereo with flip down screen

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2017, 20:49:25 PM »

my 1st truck has much better brakes than my 2nd 1 has abs 2 does not but 1 has a much better pedal and stops quicker both have twin pots
your second was a dog last time i saw it Wink

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox

123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2017, 22:14:19 PM »

still is lol  Grin

2005 4 Life

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
fason

« Reply #10 on: 08 November, 2017, 15:42:10 PM »

compare to someone elses, I have both twin and single pots and cant notice a difference between them to be honest
Which model has twin pots?
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #11 on: 08 November, 2017, 18:05:53 PM »

anything that is a 4life or above has twin pots

fason

« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2017, 16:21:07 PM »

What year is released the "4life" model ? (This distinctive is not used in Greece)
Any idea about where to buy the special socket for the lock nut the front wheel bearings?
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »

What year is released the "4life" model ? (This distinctive is not used in Greece)
Any idea about where to buy the special socket for the lock nut the front wheel bearings?

after 2002, with the larger bumper, but some of the early mk3's will also have them, anthing with Chrome door mirrors and electric windows will have twin pots

use 2 m6 bolts, screw them in and twist em

fason

« Reply #14 on: 14 November, 2017, 18:55:48 PM »

[/quote]

after 2002, with the larger bumper, but some of the early mk3's will also have them, anthing with Chrome door mirrors and electric windows will have twin pots

[/quote]
Mine is 2004 whith chrome door mirrors and electric windows but it has single pots!
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #15 on: 14 November, 2017, 20:17:11 PM »

is it a 4work

2005 4 Life

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2017, 13:13:27 PM »

[/quote]
Mine is 2004 whith chrome door mirrors and electric windows but it has single pots!
[/quote]

Do you know the history of it? What trim is it, you can change singles for twins they bolt up

fason

« Reply #17 on: Today at 17:13:17 »

If a 4work is the one with single color body and poorer equipment yes mine is a 4work. The terms 4work, 4life, warrior etc are not used in Greece.
What is a mk3?
Trim is the diameter of the disc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: