Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum   KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
19 January, 2018, 13:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
160508 Posts in 18297 Topics by 11378 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Members of Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club get access to more areas of the forum e.g. Owners Club Discounts, Owners Club Events, Dealerships and Servicing-DIY & Main Dealer, Not Quite Right.., Polls, Insurance, Wanted, For Sale, Accessories, Technical.
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  12 month old L200 - brake failure big time.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12 month old L200 - brake failure big time.  (Read 161 times)
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« on: 10 January, 2018, 18:28:38 PM »

This was posted today on the Honest John forum by a poster calling himself 2010jagman.

Just had an Interesting time in the works owned L200 pickup,

Does get used on construction site tracks so quite a rough life. bought new by the company and now just over a year old with 12000 miles.

coming up to a security gate down a hill at around 20 mph (site limit) tried to brake and foot goes to the floor. - pump the brakes and there was no resistance - pulled hard on the handbrake which comes straight up with a bang from the rear of the car.

eventually comes to a stop just before the gate. large fluid leak at a rear wheel. - AA contacted who diagnosed a failed wheel cylinder - handbrake cable still attached to drum.

final report from garage states that wheel cylinder found loose, one piston has come out of cylinder and damage to the handbrake mechanism.

Left me a bit shaken as also use the pickup on public roads, amazed at the difference when 50% of the braking was lost and also by how much the pedal dropped. dont think if i had been driving within a normal distance from another car i would have been able to stop in time.

not sure if the experience is useful to anyone but its certainly made me think while driving a bit more about what I would do if they failed again.

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2018, 20:28:31 PM »

so someone left a wheel cylinder loose....

drum brakes work the same on whatever they are fitted to, nothing to do with the truck, driver probably never experienced brake faliure before

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2018, 20:23:28 PM »

"so someone left a wheel cylinder loose"

Hmm - yes they did, on the rear axle on the truck which was about 12 months old from new.

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2018, 18:27:20 PM »

"so someone left a wheel cylinder loose"

Hmm - yes they did, on the rear axle on the truck which was about 12 months old from new.

pooty factory fitter

02 4life red/silver, T-bar's,  3" bodylift,  31" MT's,  LED headlights, under bonnet & interior light mods,   K&N,   Fuel timing advance,  Reduced boost,   free wheeling hubs, triple Air horns, "cruise control",  DECAT, custom towbar, under sealed, EGR, stiff fan, boost & water gauges, CB, lockbox
No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley

04 4work club cab (most reliable L200 ever)
04 warrior (least reliable L200 ever)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: