Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum   KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
19 January, 2018, 13:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
160508 Posts in 18297 Topics by 11378 Members
www.L200.org.uk
L200 Owners Club Members, please make sure we know your Forum/User name - This will allow us to grant you full access to  this forum
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
4x4 Accessories & Tyres - L200  Forum sponsor L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Symptoms of a fuel filter starting to block.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Symptoms of a fuel filter starting to block.  (Read 70 times)
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« on: 14 January, 2018, 00:47:16 AM »

Just thought I would post this as a bit of advice to newbies who maybe don't have experience of diesels.
Classic 2005 4D56T 115 hp Trojan double cab bought in 2009 with 37k on it - I changed the fuel filter back in late 2009 because I didn't know the service history of the truck.
It's now got 56k on it.
I had been getting signs of the filter starting to block for a month or so -  ie hanging back on hills, not pulling well etc but had ignored it as I am an idle s*d and had loads of other stuff to do (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !)
Anyway - today coming back from town, trod on the loud pedal in fifth to accelerate up a long hill and the rpm went up to about 3000 and then stopped there with a jolt like it was on an rpm limiter and then slowly backed off down to 2500- got it back home with no further trouble on a light throttle no fault lights etc.
Aha I thought - it's that bl**dy fuel filter.
So after doing all the chores like bring in the firewood I replaced the damn thing in the freezing cold (+4 C and a keen NE wind)
Easy enough job - I must have replaced hundreds of the things in a previous life on various engines.
I replaced a Fram with a Fram I had in stock for years.
The old filterelement was well black and very heavy compared with the new one.
A bit of a tip - if you are going to keep a filter in stock, take it out of the box and wrap it in cling film to stop it absorbing moisture from the air, if it is kept in a damp shed or garage it will absorb moisture from the air and stop it working effectively.
I notice the Boshi filters have a plastic film  seal on the top, but nothing on the bottom.......!

I reckon that the old filter had about 2750 litres of diesel put through it based on average consumption so I think I got good value from it !

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: