Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum   KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
22 February, 2018, 04:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
160721 Posts in 18347 Topics by 11411 Members
www.L200.org.uk
L200 Owners Club Members, please make sure we know your Forum/User name - This will allow us to grant you full access to  this forum
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Newbie/Hello messages
| | |-+  technical query
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: technical query  (Read 178 times)
renault

« on: 03 February, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »

hi all
this is my first post on this forum - so hellow to all. Is this the correct place to pose technical questions or is there another area of the forum?
regards
geoff
Chris Site Founder
Website and Owners Club Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »

Hello & Welcome
There is a specific Technical area - only visible to Owners Club members.

BUT, ask and we'll see what we can do !

Chris

Website & Owners Club Founder
West Yorkshire
2003 Black Warrior (122082 miles)
Engine -
K&N filter, Allisport intercooler, S/S exhaust - inc Cat replacement pipe, Samco water and intercooler hoses,  no power chip.

Body/Chassis -
Spray on loadliner, s/s braided brake hoses,  towbar, relocated towing electrics, tonneau.

BORDA Trained
renault

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2018, 16:51:37 PM »

thanks Chris, I had not realised that there are two levels of 'membership'. Sorry I did not mean to 'jump' the system.
I am trying to help my son who has temporary ownership of my elderly L200. He had the rear shockers replaced and immediately afterwrds the rear brakes started to lock up !. I know this makes no sense but that is what happened. He took the truck back to the garage who said it is the master cylinder (but this was replaced a couple of years ago). The garage replaced the M/Cyl once more but still the rear brakes are still locking up. What I am looking for is a procedure for setting up the rear compensator. Can anyone help me with finding a procedure please?
regards
to all
geoff
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2018, 18:09:26 PM »

Have a gander at this,

Since the possible loading of a Pick-up can vary greatly, the braking requirements will differ based on the weight being carried. The load sensing proportioning valve is located in the brake system for the rear wheels. It functions to control the brake fluid pressure from the master cylinder in response to the vehicle load and prevents early locking of the rear wheels. This provides directional stability under hard braking. Should the hydraulic system to the front brakes fail, the pressure control for the rear brakes is cancelled and sufficient braking force is provided.

The valve body is mounted on the frame at the rear. The lever arm is connected to the axle by a spring. As the load increases, the frame is lowered (the axle remains at a fixed height) and the arm moves out, allowing increased brake fluid pressure. The length of the spring is the main factor in controlling valve function.

To measure this spring, the vehicle must be unladen and sitting on its wheels on level ground. Do not support any part of the vehicle. Make sure that the lever is not in contact with the stopper bolt and push the lever toward the valve. Measure the distance from the spring hole in the lever arm to the spring hole in the spring support.

Although the spring runs on an angle, do not measure along the spring. Measure the shortest distance-a line parallel to the ground.

The correct distance should be as follows:

1989-95 Pick-ups: 6.97-7.09 in. (17.7-18.0cm)
1996-06 Pick-ups: 6.85-6.93 in. (17.2-17.6cm)
2006-13 Monteros: 8.8-9.0 in. (22.4-22.8cm)

If the measurement is incorrect, loosen the bolt attaching the support and slide it in the necessary direction to lengthen or shorten the distance and secure the bolt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: To adjust the load sensing proportioning valve, slide the bracket back and forth until the standard measurement is reached

If it is necessary to replace the load sensing proportioning valve:

Disconnect the spring.
Label and disconnect each brake line running to the valve.
Remove the mounting bolts holding the valve and remove the valve.
Install the new valve and tighten the mounting bolts.
Connect each brake line to the correct port and tighten the fitting to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
Install the spring.
Measure the effective distance as outlined above.
Bleed the brake system.

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Landrover 90 and discovery td5, also 1958 series 2.. I do love my landys,
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2018, 23:28:47 PM »

from my practical experience.

first get under and see if the proportioning valve arm is not seized, the one with the spring you should be able to move it out. to do a better test have someone press the brakes you will see the arm move out a small way as they do.

next is wheel cylinders, old ones will begin to stick and generally misbehave as the plungers get stuck inside the bores. new ones from milners are pennies and they are dead easy to change.  loosen off the handbrake adjuster in the backing plate if the drum wont pull off by hand.

then replace the cylinders both sides, use a flare spanner, you dont need to take the brake assembly apart to do this.

bleed and test, 90% of the time this is the issue
« Last Edit: 04 February, 2018, 07:00:07 AM by Chris Site Founder » Logged

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 37" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
renault

« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2018, 17:13:25 PM »

thanks very much for this gutys.
As soon as I can get my hands on the truck, I will have a go.
cheers
geoff
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: