Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
22 February, 2018, 04:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
160721 Posts in 18347 Topics by 11411 Members
www.L200.org.uk
L200 Owners Club Members, please make sure we know your Forum/User name - This will allow us to grant you full access to  this forum
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Fuel tank leak
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuel tank leak  (Read 89 times)
danby
Owners Club member

« on: 13 February, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »

Filled with diesel yesterday and this morning is a massive pool of fuel on the garage floor. Pulled truck out and its dripping from tank. Its raining/ sleeting so difficult to work under but seems bottom and part of side of tank has droplets on and dripping, so presumably tank or top assembly is leaking. Do I need to take tank out to see where leak is and can I usefully do anything on top without removing tank? If it is a tank change what else needs changing at same time. Milners have tank at 450, is that best bet?
54 plate forlife.
In front of garage is tarmac recently laid so I'm hoping that doesn't get contaminated and break up.

2004 54 double cab 4life blue/silver. Sometimes dirty, usually very dirty.
Nooks
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2018, 13:47:00 PM »

Check it is the tank that is at fault and not the fuel gauge sender, which is mounted on the side. It is unlikely to be the pump or pipes as those are on top and it only happens when the engine/pump is running.

Firstly, how much fuel did you have in? if less than half full it wont be the sender either, as the fuel level will be below it.

To get to the sender, remove the n/s rear road wheel, then (if it isn't rusted up) the small mudguard plate that hangs down. With a torch, you should now be able to see the sender unit. It is possible to remove in situ, but be prepared for rusty nuts. I had to use a small nut splitter to free mine (at which point I found out that the gauge was telling lies and my tank was nearly full - oops!)

2002 V6 Triton Auto, Green/Silver, Carry-boy cover, Cookin' on Gas!
Blackburn, Lancs
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2018, 18:20:40 PM »

only 4 bolts to remove the tank, MAKE SURE you wire brush them before undoing them or ull get 5 tuns in and snap!

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 37" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: