MitzyBitz - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
01 October, 2020, 21:28:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
155756 Posts in 18258 Topics by 12142 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Full site access is now FREE - Owners Club cards are required for discounts with our sponsors.

Owners Club card £2
Owners Club card & keyring £3
Owners Club card, keyring & mug £5
Thermal mug costs on request.

No record of membership will  be recorded
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  End of an era ?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: End of an era ?  (Read 13805 times)
Chris Site Founder
Website and Owners Club Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« on: 03 May, 2018, 14:36:57 PM »

Due to ill health and family issues I am looking at retiring - from my real job and on here.

I have a few options with what to do with the site and the OC

1. Close the site completely - Facebook to take over, easy for me but not fair on those who have paid.

2. Pass it over to someone else - easy for me, a big training job for who ever takes over.

3. Stop paid memberships at the end of this year (2018) and then open the site to everyone - probably the best option.

We still have a number of mugs, keyrings, truck stickers and membership cards.

They could be sold to keep the site running, Charity donations to cease.

Comments please

Chris
« Last Edit: 01 July, 2018, 14:07:16 PM by Chris Site Founder » Logged

Website & Owners Club Founder
West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
123hotchef
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2018, 20:08:27 PM »

option 3 gets my vote,  hope it is treatable Chris

2005 4 Life
Blue over Silver Double Cab
K&N Apollo EGR removed S/S De-Cat Armadillo Roller Shutter Boost gauge Wax-oiled and under-sealed Interior blue LED's Roll bars
2 Led spots 2 search lights 4 work lights with red angle eyes 7" screen for trailer cams Stereo with flip down screen

To go on
Stainless steel exhaust
Nooks
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2018, 21:47:25 PM »

Firstly, a massive thanks for putting this all together and supporting it and us over the years.

I think Option 3 as well. Too much information accrued here to just flush down the toilet, but keep an open mind on option 2 as well, just in case somebody knowledgeable comes forward.

Those of us who are still running the older trucks rely on these pages.

As for Facebook, I looked into it years ago but never signed up 'cos of the amount of info they wanted off you and the agreements you had to sign up to. Now look what's happened (as in the news recently).

2002 V6 Triton Auto, Green/Silver, Carry-boy cover, Cookin' on Gas!
Blackburn, Lancs
danby
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2018, 00:52:05 AM »

Add my thanks as well. Are there running costs to the club and website? Are we likely to find somebody to run it (well or not all)? Is there a lot of work for whoever runs it? Can the work be split and shared or is that the recipe for a mess? Will all the existing data such as "how to" be able to be saved for future after closure?
As for Facebook etc, I will not have anything to do with any of those organisations/ type of schemes (as has been recently justified) so would request deletion of all my data if we go there.
I (and others) run a classic and as they age and die, the membership will naturally decline in numbers. If I had to buy new then I don't know what I would buy. Cue for a topic???
Thanks for giving us time to think about it all.
Keith

2004 54 double cab 4life blue/silver. Sometimes dirty, usually very dirty.
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2018, 04:03:50 AM »

I think Chris knows what he has done for me over the years, from my first stupid questions about CV boots and other little things, to knowing my way around a K74 so well now that I keep I dont know how many running, at least 10 and have done some of the most extreme mods in the UK to them.  Back when I joined, facebook didnt have much on L200's, and 9/10 people were asking questions and not answering them.

the facebook situation is improving, but there is no database of  knowledge and no organisation of events.

personally I hope the OC continues in some form or another, in particular the AGM's workshop meets, spares department, and stickers Smiley

I am happy to help where I can, I can take over spares department as I have a ridiculous amount of K74 parts, amongst other things, aswell as a constant stock of new spares from milners on the shelf, but organisationally I am useless  Lips sealed

I dont know whats up chris but if I can ever be of help dont hesitate to ask

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 40" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
jasoncambs
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2018, 16:22:42 PM »

This forum is a bible of information . I still reading through and learnt so much . If i can help within the owners club i would be more than happy . 
pipfit
Owners Club member

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2018, 02:50:05 AM »

I have never bothered with Facebook.Have learned a lot from here hope it carries on Option 3 For me
Pipfit

2002 WARRIOR
shamo stag
Owners Club member

S.O.T

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2018, 19:30:38 PM »

option 1 first as last

52 Warrior Silver with genuine Mitsubishi hard top
 Never Confuse Education with Intelligence!
jimmy
Regional Reps

Lancashire based

« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2018, 12:55:55 PM »

Hi I have just seen this sorry to hear about you health problems Chris in one way or another the site has got to stay visable it's sutch valuable source of information especially for the classic and is far simpler to search for answers than face book but like all forums face book has done a lot of damage were does Steve Dublin sit on this and just how mutch running does the forum take ?? I am guilty for not being particularly active but still have the l200 and the interest certainly in the classic
Ian

l2004life 2002  ecoflow 161542k and climbing asifer skid plates 2" suspension lift extended shackles 1 1/2" body lift  runing on special tracks lots of lights shogun v6 front axle with arb locker  37 mm wheel spacers 295/75/16 hankook R T 03 dinapro mts Elete winch bumper with13000 winch it winch with dinema 60 2nd battery with split charge in the procces of being fitted allong with the conversion of the champion eb12000  to go on the back ome suspension
 lifes for living live it
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2018, 16:39:29 PM »

The membership admin takes quite a bit of time.
Dealing with new and bogus Forum names takes a lot of time.
Site maintenance takes some time too.

I have decided that the membership system will stop at the end of this year.
We have some money in the bank to run for about another 2 years before we close.

I still have lots of stuff to sell - see my posts in the For Sale section (Mugs, Stickers, filters, Wind deflector, bonnet scoops   etc etc

Chris
« Last Edit: 29 December, 2019, 16:53:19 PM by Chris Site Founder » Logged

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
jimmy
Regional Reps

Lancashire based

« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2018, 00:02:10 AM »

The membership admin takes quite a bit of time.
Dealing with new and bogus Forum names takes a lot of time.
Site maintenance takes some time too.

I have decided that the membership system will stop at the end of this year.
We have some money in the bank to run for about another 4 years before we close.

I still have lots of stuff to sell - see my posts in the For Sale section (Mugs, Stickers, filters, Wind deflector, bonnet scoops   etc etc

Chris

Thanks for the answers Chris
Ian

l2004life 2002  ecoflow 161542k and climbing asifer skid plates 2" suspension lift extended shackles 1 1/2" body lift  runing on special tracks lots of lights shogun v6 front axle with arb locker  37 mm wheel spacers 295/75/16 hankook R T 03 dinapro mts Elete winch bumper with13000 winch it winch with dinema 60 2nd battery with split charge in the procces of being fitted allong with the conversion of the champion eb12000  to go on the back ome suspension
 lifes for living live it
Supersnail
Owners Club member

Im always in the poo its only the depth that varie

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2018, 00:49:58 AM »

Sorry to hear of your health and family issues and hope you resolve both soon. I have been a member for twelve years and though I have never met any of the members, some of you feel like old friends, without the help and guidance of this forum the truck would have cost me an even bigger fortune than it has. Option 3 seems to be the best to me as it would be a shame to lose the vast amount of knowledge contained in it ,besides I hate facebook and everything it stands for. Best of luck for the future and thanks again. Pete Sidwick.

2001 Black\Grey double cab.K&N air filter
Scratchy
Owners Club member

« Reply #12 on: 27 June, 2018, 17:44:39 PM »

Sorry to hear of your health issues, hope all goes well in the future. I too favour option three as facebook and the like are unpopular with so many people. Good luck and thanks.

1993 Strada Blue/Silver
2007 Animal Titanium Grey

Southampton
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2018, 19:45:59 PM »

I have decided to stop membership and open up the site 1/1/2019

I will still need to sell mugs, stickers and keyrings to keep the place going !

Chris

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
rob h
Owners Club member

« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2018, 02:37:41 AM »

Sorry to hear this Chris. I can't say I have been like an active member but every time I have needed help with my truck your page has been there for me. I hope now we can be some form of help for you , I am sure you only need to ask. Which ever you decide to do it has to be in your best interest and don't worry about this page. Good luck with All of the problems you face.

2001 4life snugtop and bits and bobs
Red over Silver looks the buisness
A lot like its owner always dirty and hard-working
I wish my wife was this dirty!!!!!!!!!!
OverdriveOne
Owners Club member

« Reply #15 on: 25 July, 2018, 05:40:22 AM »

Add me to the messages of thanks, Chris. Thanks for starting the site and still being here when I returned a decade later! Not so many endure, it's a lot of work.

I hope the site will continue successfully as you gradually step back, it's one of the best I've used in many aspects. I'm not a technophobe, probably the opposite but there's a place for tech and digitization. Deeply rooted in people's private, personal and leisure lives are not such places IMO, so I'm disappointed to find that much has been sucked into the globalist Borg hive of social media, where it can "Successfully" be monitored, assessed and influenced. I'll be sure to be uninvolved with that content, so hopefully there's adequate action here for now. There's certainly a huge vault of info that needs to remain available.

Ideal would be your option 2 but that would be a difficult task to engineer in terms of maintaining the quality. So, I'd have to say option 3.

Thanks again, and good luck.
mounty
Owners Club member

West Yorkshire

« Reply #16 on: 14 August, 2018, 22:46:25 PM »

Thanks for running a great site Chris, all the best,
Craig

Bought new in 2003.
elvisjohn
Owners Club member

you aint nothin but a hound dog ..,CHESTER CH4

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2018, 00:55:06 AM »

chris so very sorry to hear about your health etc , would be such a shame for the site to close , stevedublin would be an ideal replacement , had some brill camps out ,

l200 red n silver , 22 inch dare hummer alloys , hummer roof sidelights , chrome a bar , rear roll bar , chrome airhorns, galaxy dx 95 ssb cb radio , elvis number plate , mirror window film , twin straght thru exhaust stacks, spot lights , triple train horns on roof , 3 gal air tank & comp , very loud !
Al McL
Owners Club member

« Reply #18 on: 21 August, 2018, 16:05:53 PM »

Option 3
paulw
Owners Club member

Membership no 208

« Reply #19 on: 16 October, 2018, 22:40:50 PM »

sorry to hear of your health chris. You have done a great job. Reckon option 3 is favorite

Nov 2003 53 plate Black Warrior from new .AT2's , De cat. 71,000,egr removed at 77,000,head gasket at 77,500.Another one plus oil pump etc at 78,000.
Sadly sold,new owners have a goodun! Resorted to a Disco 2, but need a mitsi fix!

Don't be what you isn't, just be what you is
Cause when you is what you isn't, you isn't what you is.
Retired July 2010 and loving every minute!
Homebrew is the way to go!!
MWood
Owners Club member

« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2018, 22:14:40 PM »

Really sorry to here about your ill health fella!
I know it couldn't have been an easy decision for you to make with regards to the forum, really glad you decided to keep it going and open it up!

There had been just too much knowledge amassed on here (especially the older models) to just hit the delete button on. You and this forum have got me out of a scrape so many times now, i honestly don't know what i would have done without you... all of you.

You should become the CEO, letting moderators (The Board) take over the day to day running, setup a paypal money pool for donations towards site upkeep? That should be enough to keep the wolf from the door!
Leaving you free to drop by as and when you feel up to it for a catch up and natter?

Anyhow,
All the best Chris and thank you so much for starting and running this amazing forum.

2005 4Life Black/Silver & badly fitted Avenger hard top.
Corsa 838MT - 265/75/16s
Milner heavy load springs - 24"
Torsion bars wound up - 21" (was 22.5" but have now settled)
30mm wheel spacers
New Turbo (unbranded OEM)
Steering stops wound out
EGR removed
AVM Hubs
LED Headlight conversion (supplied by Bootsie)
32" LED Light bar (supplied by Bootsie - link to follow)
Cybox full stainless system + De-cat pipe
DIY Rear bumper
Replacement oil cooler lines (330bar hydraulic hose)

Lots of replaced OEM parts too!
Cost: Lots!
Nooks
Owners Club member

« Reply #21 on: 02 November, 2018, 05:13:06 AM »

Just wondering if and how club discounts from suppliers would continue to work - an open site would mean anybody could find the discount codes. Would Milners etc be happy with this? On the other hand should we be thankful for what we have had to date and accept that the discounts will stop. Personally I'm not too bothered which way it goes, but it is something that should probably be considered before D-Day.

2002 V6 Triton Auto, Green/Silver, Carry-boy cover, Cookin' on Gas!
Blackburn, Lancs
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #22 on: 03 November, 2018, 00:30:21 AM »

That is an issue I'm still working on.
To get a discount you need a membership number - I have at least 600 membership cards left.
So it will be free or for a sum I could send out  a card, sticker, key ring and mug to enable members to get the discounts.

Chris
« Last Edit: 03 November, 2018, 19:49:53 PM by Chris Site Founder » Logged

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Kappa......
Regional Reps

Memb No:1618 Wrexham North Wales 07857405785

« Reply #23 on: 04 November, 2018, 23:24:13 PM »

Hi Chris been a long time but still lurk in about.. an can’t get on site on my laptop for some reason but if I can help at all with anything drop us a email an I’ll see what I can do..

04 Warrior. With lots of mods..( was a monster)
05 black/silver 4life
 winch bumper, snorkel, new rear springs,7" BTV suspension kit,35" tyres on deep dish rims, upgrade speakers. Braided brakelines,
Still to do...recovery back bumper, an find some lights when I get more cash...

L200's get under ur skin an you will bleed for them.. !!!!!!!
Entering Macmillan 4x4 challenge 2015
https://www.justgiving.com/Allan-Capper/
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #24 on: 03 January, 2019, 19:50:46 PM »

I will now reject all new payments and just allow people straight in to see the whole site.

I have no more stickers left, just Keyrings, Owners Club cards, mugs and a few thermal mugs - Owners Club cards being required for discounts with our sponsors.

Costs

Owners Club card £2
Owners Club card & keyring £3
Owners Club card, keyring & mug £5
Thermal mug costs on request.

No record of members will now be recorded - it will be up to you to keep your Owners Club card secure. (This will get around the new Data Protection laws as we will hold no personal data)

Please email or PM me to become a free member

Chris
« Last Edit: 08 January, 2019, 03:32:02 AM by Chris Site Founder » Logged

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #25 on: 29 December, 2019, 16:59:00 PM »

Well guys, one year on and we are still here  Grin

The current funds will keep the site running one more year - if you would like to donate (ANY ammount) please send to Paypal - chris@L200.org.uk.

I still have mugs, keyrings and membership cards - everything else has gone.

Personally I have a set of 5 Alloys and BFG's for a classic shape at £250 - to be collected from West Yorkshire.

I wish you all the best for 2020 - maybe we can last another after that ?

Chris

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Navman
Vinyl sticker Rep.

Watch that bank it's SLIPPERY......

« Reply #26 on: 29 December, 2019, 17:05:47 PM »

I keep pushing the forum on Facebook Chris, as I know full well, as a resource this ids much better than trying to search for info on facebook, which has no structure for searching info. hopefully 'we' can keep it going, I will give it another push later, so you might get an influx of members. Wink

Carl

All the best for 2020 Chris

Carl & Christine.  Wink

Entry No 20 in the 2014 Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
Our Just Giving donation page Team L200-too mac 4x4 2014
2004 "Classic" Warrior, JP Exhausts Turbo back stainless exhaust, with de-cat. and a few subtle mods. 128,000 miles
(O/C Member No 411)
Davipon
Owners Club member

« Reply #27 on: 09 April, 2020, 15:18:16 PM »

Well guys, one year on and we are still here  Grin

The current funds will keep the site running one more year - if you would like to donate (ANY ammount) please send to Paypal - chris@L200.org.uk.

I still have mugs, keyrings and membership cards - everything else has gone.

Personally I have a set of 5 Alloys and BFG's for a classic shape at £250 - to be collected from West Yorkshire.

I wish you all the best for 2020 - maybe we can last another after that ?

Chris
Morning Chris,
Am back here for the usual reason.......help needed for old truck. If the paypal address is still active I'll happily send a couple of bob over to help admin costs.
All the best in this odd year!
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #28 on: 09 April, 2020, 16:25:44 PM »

http://www.l200.org.uk/community/index.php?board=222.0

Paypal - chris@L200.org.uk - it all helps, at the moment this site will close at the end of the year.

Many Thanks

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Freeway
Owners Club member

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2020, 00:26:25 AM »

Chris how much would all the members need to cough up to keep this brilliant site going for at least another 5 to 10 years ? I think any amount isn't too much

2004 Animal Red/silver,Stainless roll bar,bull bar,rear step bars,EGR and cooler removed, Black leather,Boost gauge and vacuum gauge fitted,fully chromed door handles in and out and loads more. Now Decat
Davipon
Owners Club member

« Reply #30 on: 28 April, 2020, 21:43:46 PM »

http://www.l200.org.uk/community/index.php?board=222.0

Paypal - chris@L200.org.uk - it all helps, at the moment this site will close at the end of the year.

Many Thanks
Done a bit. Take care.
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #31 on: 01 May, 2020, 18:46:51 PM »

MANY THANKS

Chris

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #32 on: 10 May, 2020, 17:44:51 PM »

I have just paid for what will be the final years hosting

The OC is now £80 in the red

I retire in June, so will see if I can drum up some sponsership to help

Chris

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Freeway
Owners Club member

« Reply #33 on: 13 May, 2020, 01:16:41 AM »

I am more than happy to chip in £100 if it would help at all

2004 Animal Red/silver,Stainless roll bar,bull bar,rear step bars,EGR and cooler removed, Black leather,Boost gauge and vacuum gauge fitted,fully chromed door handles in and out and loads more. Now Decat
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #34 on: 13 May, 2020, 03:39:29 AM »

Many Thanks but, way too generous :-)
If people just dropped 2 quid in the pot it would help

Chris

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #35 on: 13 May, 2020, 03:41:44 AM »

or bought a mug/keyring/thermo mug ?

Chris

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
danby
Owners Club member

« Reply #36 on: 13 May, 2020, 13:04:20 PM »

If we all give a couple of pounds how long will it be before we are in the red again? I would rather give a bit more now and not have  the same request next year, although I appreciate that somebody will have to hold the funds, and we should not have a big fund. Perhaps aim for a couple of years funding. It might also be worth reminding members how to actually pay the donation.

2004 54 double cab 4life blue/silver. Sometimes dirty, usually very dirty.
Chris Site Founder
Administrator

Membership Number 1

« Reply #37 on: 13 May, 2020, 15:38:47 PM »

The site costs around £120 a year to run

4x4 companies are no longer paying to advertise - they get too much free through Facebook

If you would like to donate a couple of pounds - its Paypal to Chris@L200.org.uk (Gift/Family option please)

A mug costs £3 to pack and post, a keyring £1 + the cost of the mug and/or keyring (£1 each) - that is break even on these items

I will try source funding from a few other places - The website is 20 years old this year (March in fact)

Regards and many thanks

Chris
« Last Edit: 13 May, 2020, 15:42:48 PM by Chris Site Founder » Logged

West Yorkshire
BORDA Trained
Freeway
Owners Club member

« Reply #38 on: 14 May, 2020, 00:21:50 AM »

Chris ive chipped in £50 to try to get things moving as i think the site is well worth keeping running. i hope between us all it must be worth as you say a couple of quid from each member for the valuable info this site brings. Come on chaps dig in and lets keep it going hey.

rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #39 on: 14 May, 2020, 03:49:02 AM »

Hi Chris iv bunged in £30 for hopefully keeping the site going, as im not on Facebook, cant stand it,, It would be a great shame to loose all the great content. And I hope all the other members and users chip in a few quid to keep it going.

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Landrover 90 and discovery td5, also 1958 series 2.. I do love my landys,
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: