Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum††
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
14 December, 2018, 08:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
161939 Posts in 18619 Topics by 11772 Members
www.L200.org.uk
L200 Owners Club Members, please make sure we know your Forum/User name - This will allow us to grant you full access to  this forum
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  2008 Engine issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Engine issues  (Read 464 times)
Emmamx
Owners Club member

« on: 04 October, 2018, 20:51:15 PM »

So after spending nearly £3k on works folowing a slipped cambelt 18 months ago and 9000 miles my truck has failed yet again.
After the garage that did the original repairs refused to even look at the truck I sent it to another garage who found the balance belt stripped of teeth knocking out the timing. Head off and itís touched a couple of valves. Repair bill up over £1500 again already. The garage have now called and said one of the balance shafts has play and itís £1000 in parts and labour to replace. My question is do the balance shafts suddenly develop play or would this be as a result of original repair or should of been picked up during the original repair 9000 miles ago? The original repair so say replaced both balance shaft sprockets so I would of thought they should of noticed play in the shaft? Any advice greatfully received 😊
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2018, 17:17:27 PM »

I can't really offer any advice except to say that the average garage nowadays does not have the skills to do serious work on engines - today's "technicians" don't seem to be taught how strip and rebuild an engine properly, or how to measure parts for wear, make decisions on what to replace and how to do it.
I know that doesn't help you, but that's how it is.

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
Emmamx
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I think I should be sorted now as itís been stripped by another garage and has been confirmed that the original garage did not replace parts I was charged for.   I had a feeling I had been ripped off but without stripping the engine was impossible to prove. Now it has came to light that certain parts that are on my invoice are still the original factory parts and still have the factory sealant in place and intact.
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2018, 17:00:17 PM »

Sorry to hear that - you now have a decision to make as to whether to start a small claims court claim against the original garage - or just put it down to experience.
I hate this sort of deception and fraud, because that's what it is - fraud.
Having been in a business that involved constant engine rebuilds, we always used to present customers with all their replaced parts, they always had the choice whether to have them back or we chucked them in the scrap bin.

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2018, 22:13:13 PM »

and this is why garages get a bad name, your better off getting your hands on a competent independant mechanic in your area than going to a garage,

you will know if they are good because they will talk about the engine all day long but take much longer to actually work out a price for their work, which will almost always be less than a garage,

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 37" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: