Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor L200 Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
14 November, 2018, 03:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
161856 Posts in 18598 Topics by 11747 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Members of Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club get access to more areas of the forum e.g. Owners Club Discounts, Owners Club Events, Dealerships and Servicing-DIY & Main Dealer, Not Quite Right.., Polls, Insurance, Wanted, For Sale, Accessories, Technical.
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  K74 DIY Front bumper in progress!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: K74 DIY Front bumper in progress!  (Read 156 times)
MWood
Owners Club member

« on: 20 October, 2018, 17:00:32 PM »

Hey guys,
Back again with another pre MOT fixer upper!

Shes finally getting close to death after last years hillbilly tub and the previous years DIY rear bumper...

This year it is the rear chassis cross member that needs repairing (well not exactly repairing but need one fitting as it fell off a few months back!)
Along with the inner sills on both sides and the front bulkhead/lower rad mount!

I need to send it in to get that work done as i cant do that welding myself (looking around 500 if i removed the front bumper)

So i had to remove the bumper this time round, no more getting away from it this time! Not my preferred choice as the only monts still left is the little frame that bolts to the end of the chassis legs and the corners of the arches!
The arches came off easily enough, i went to pop the arch extensions off and the bumper just completely pulled off on both sides. So the only sound and reusable mounting points are the chassis ends...

No chance i'm gonna get the front bumper back on securely now, so its gonna be another DIY front bumper project, which i didn't really want to be doing at this point for the sake of one more MOT before she goes to the breakers yard in the sky!
Wouldn't even be worth making a winch bumper now, i'm just gonna go with a simple Defender style front bumper just to get through her test one last time.

As usual it will be good ol' 70x70x6 box along with whatever i have left from the hillbilly tub, perhaps a length of 30x30 angle and i think i have a couple of oddments of 25x25x3 box.

Any thoughts or suggestions before i crack on fella's?

On another note the new house is coming along now. The huge ass 500L thermal store cylinder is in and i've finished all the central heating pipework. We also got upstairs completely plasterboarded, the joints taped and filled with only the last couple of Rads to fit in the bedrooms tomorrow. Then just a case of pressure testing the pipework before moving downstairs and starting to plasterboard the ceilings! Slowly getting closer to finishing now and hopeful the pace should speed up a little.
 Fingers crossed we may be good to move in by this time next year!

« Last Edit: 20 October, 2018, 18:18:41 PM by MWood » Logged

2005 4Life Black/Silver & badly fitted Avenger hard top.
Corsa 838MT - 265/75/16s
Milner heavy load springs - 24"
Torsion bars wound up - 21" (was 22.5" but have now settled)
30mm wheel spacers
New Turbo (unbranded OEM)
Steering stops wound out
EGR removed
AVM Hubs
LED Headlight conversion (supplied by Bootsie)
32" LED Light bar (supplied by Bootsie - link to follow)
Cybox full stainless system + De-cat pipe
DIY Rear bumper
Replacement oil cooler lines (330bar hydraulic hose)

Lots of replaced OEM parts too!
Cost: Lots!
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2018, 22:25:18 PM »

that sounds like one rusty piece of rubbish,  i make sexy tube winch bumpers and its pretty easy on the k74's, just make what you wanna,

on a more serious note have you checked you rails for rot, particularly round the front leaf hangars,  i recently brought a truck from the coast that was in better condition than what you describe and the chassis was a mess, just finishing off a complete frame up rebuild on it and if yours was anything like this one its ready to drop the leaves or snap in half,  i would buy a cheap one from somewhere nice in the south and protect it properly or build yourself a new chassis from scratch, (first option cheaper and quicker),, or go buy a new car lol

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 37" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
MWood
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2018, 19:59:08 PM »

Did you do a build thread  or tutorial? Any chance you could drop the link?  Grin

The plan is to replace it with a new one when the house is finished, don't have time free to replace the chassis (would be flogging a dead Hoss, anyway!) or the money without holding up progress onthe house for 6 months.  Cry 
Just needing to make lemonade with them thar apples  Wink

On the up side, the main rails and the heavier gauge hangers etc. aren't too bad!
The worst of the rot seems limited to the lighter weight pressed tin bits.

However its been at the welders for close to 2 weeks now (he's either taking his time or he's still cutting back to find something decent to weld to) Undecided

The old man thinks we might get the plastic bumper back on with a liberal application of duck tape and cable ties   Roll Eyes
I'm a little more sceptical...  Id rather something a little more secure since it'll still be ratting around the fields as well

2005 4Life Black/Silver & badly fitted Avenger hard top.
Corsa 838MT - 265/75/16s
Milner heavy load springs - 24"
Torsion bars wound up - 21" (was 22.5" but have now settled)
30mm wheel spacers
New Turbo (unbranded OEM)
Steering stops wound out
EGR removed
AVM Hubs
LED Headlight conversion (supplied by Bootsie)
32" LED Light bar (supplied by Bootsie - link to follow)
Cybox full stainless system + De-cat pipe
DIY Rear bumper
Replacement oil cooler lines (330bar hydraulic hose)

Lots of replaced OEM parts too!
Cost: Lots!
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2018, 21:54:14 PM »

look up herts custom 4x4 on facebook best way to get hold of me,

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 37" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: