Milners Offroad - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
23 April, 2019, 01:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
162340 Posts in 18701 Topics by 11858 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Membership to this site is FREE.
Please email or PM me to become a free member
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Additional Torque Converter Oil Cooler
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Additional Torque Converter Oil Cooler  (Read 213 times)
Keith Hart
Owners Club member

« on: 07 April, 2019, 19:07:03 PM »

Hello

I have a 2011 L200 Barbarian (automatic), which I use to tow a single axle 4 berth caravan (MTPLM 1650 kgs). When towing I always use the self select to avoid overheating the torque converter. It has overheated a couple of times, once when I first had the caravan and once in Spain on a very very long steep hill. I stopped for 30 mins to let it cool down and was then away again.

We are planning on taking the caravan to Morocco next year for an extended stay (we will be away about 5 months) where of course the ambient temperature will be much hotter than in the UK at times.

To avoid any TC overheating problems I understand that you can fit an extra oil cooler for the TC.

Can anyone please advise on this as to make to fit and likely cost please? I'd pop into my local garage who look after the truck to ask them, but we are currently in Andalusia until the end of May.

Thanks.

KH

Photo4x4 - Photographic Expeditions in the Scottish Highlands
Freddiel200v6
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2019, 19:01:40 PM »

Hi , as far as i know you should be looking at an additional transmission fluid cooler  and a Torque Converter Locker ( around 100 +/- ) wich locks your torque converter when selected on a switch inside the cab wherever you want to mount it ,wich is very good for :

1- steep hill descent in off road conditions ( a normal automatic will just "clutch" it self down and you will depend on your brakes and overheat them , etc..

2- better highway mileage ( by locking it yourself to lower the rpms and avoid shifting all the times like if it was "searching " for the correct gear )

3 - to keep your torque converter cool and away from overheating issues whilst towing .

Check on youtube some australian guys have loads of experience with 4x4 auto and towing . I hope that it's helpful and some of those videos really explain the entire thing much much better .

Good luck and best regards
Keith Hart
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2019, 18:28:41 PM »

Thanks for that Freddie,

I look into the additional oil cooler when I get back home and speak to my local garage about the TC locker (I'd never heard of that). In the meantime I check out You Tube.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has fitted an additional TC cooler.

Thanks again.

KH

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2019, 18:32:20 PM »

the main thing is an oil cooler, i think there are fittings you can use on the box, get the correct adaptors and plumb it to a small rad at the front which can be found on ebay, will solve most of your issues,

using 4wd does nothing to help or hinder your tc im afraid

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 37" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
Freddiel200v6
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »

Of course.  4wd is just for off road . The torque converter locker can be used downhill and on a normal road just " cruising " as you would with a trailer/caravan. It does improve your mileage , keeps the auto box cooler( the TC mostly ) and used correctly it's a very good " advantage " .

Check Wholesales automatic transmission for example . And there are many others who have loads of experience with this stuff .

Get the additional cooler and because the TC locker isn't too expensive i think that it's more than worth it .
Nooks
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2019, 22:50:34 PM »

Are you sure there isn't a torque convertor lock already in the box?

I have the classic 3.0 petrol vehicle with the auto box. When I reach around 2500 revs in either '3' or 'D', you feel the lock come in automatically and the rev counter stops bouncing around.

I thought most auto boxes have these nowadays. I would be surprised if they had done away with it on a later model.

2002 V6 Triton Auto, Green/Silver, Carry-boy cover, Cookin' on Gas!
Blackburn, Lancs
Keith Hart
Owners Club member

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2019, 15:17:13 PM »

Hello Nooks

I feel a bit daft saying this, but I'm not sure! I did check on a couple of YouTube videos (from Australia) and they did mention that the TC locks they manufactured were better than the ones fitted by the manufacturer.

Anyway, in the first instance I'm going to see about getting a transmission oil cooler fitted when we get back to the UK. As has been mentioned, this should be of most help. I need to find a UK supplier, can anyone assist please?

Regards

KH

Nooks
Owners Club member

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2019, 21:18:02 PM »

I have an "Aeroline" 15 element one I bought off Ebay. To date its still sat in its box under the telly waiting for me to get around to fitting it. Can't remember what I paid for it. Think it was around 30.00.

2002 V6 Triton Auto, Green/Silver, Carry-boy cover, Cookin' on Gas!
Blackburn, Lancs
Freddiel200v6
Owners Club member

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2019, 19:21:04 PM »

Yes Nooks , the auto box has a torque converter locker installed , what i mentioned was a torque converter locker switch so that you can lock it yourself and it remains locked in place. That's why it's cheap to install.

Check the videos i mentioned and t's much easier to understand.

How's the l200 3.0 v6 auto habdling time and mileage ? I've recently bought one myself .

Best regards
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: