MitzyBitz - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
13 December, 2019, 07:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
156107 Posts in 18224 Topics by 11972 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Membership to this site is FREE.
Please email or PM me to become a free member
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Resurection?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Resurection?  (Read 1159 times)
Supersnail
Owners Club member

Im always in the poo its only the depth that varie

« on: 30 October, 2019, 19:26:39 PM »

Hi all, just done a good bit of business and find myself in a position to put (yet) another engine in the truck. I have a price of 1,600 for a rebuilt engine from engineering services in Rainham. I bought the last one from them and it has done well. Also I see Milners do a new long engine for 1,800. Question is has anybody used Milners engines and how good are they? I just looked at some second hand trucks here in France and the prices are horrendous,how about a 2003 truck for 12,000 Euros? and a 2004 for 15,000.Also how do I get a discount code for Milners. Any input would be appreciated,cheers all Pete.

2001 Black\Grey double cab.K&N air filter
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2019, 19:30:33 PM »

some one has come to me with a 13month old milners engine with a head gasket leak,  milners not interested in warranty, 

what have you done to your engine,  and what has been done in the past?   there is no reason to be needing to put a new engine in more than once,

weve got 4 on original engines at 150 thou plus miles,   no issues,

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 40" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

No, my rear windows dont go up either Smiley
024life
04warrior
04 4work
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2019, 20:49:03 PM »

Cheers for the quick response,the head is twisted by 4mm and we are not sure about the block, which is why I am looking for a new motor.The truck has done 370,000 kilometers much of it off road and pulling heavy trailers not to mention pulling the caravan over half of Europe so it has not had an easy life. Its more or less retired now, I just use it for forestry collecting wood and as a run around so I am looking for a solution for the next few years. Sounds like you arn't keen on Milners so perhaps I will go with the devil I know. If you have any more thoughts on this I would be grateful.

rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »

I put a remanufactured engine in mine from Ivor searl was not cheap but I think you pay for what you get,

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Landrover 90 and discovery td5, also 1958 series 2.. I do love my landys,
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
keyL200
Owners Club member

South Wales

« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2019, 19:34:11 PM »

My engine was from Ivor Searle in 2011. Died last month with snapped crank.

2004 Warrior Double Cab
135,000 Miles
Black
K&N Air Filter
EGR Blanked
Bigger Radiator
Decat
Bigger Intercooler Fan
Manual Locking Hubs
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2019, 19:41:35 PM »

Cheers for the quick response,the head is twisted by 4mm and we are not sure about the block, which is why I am looking for a new motor.The truck has done 370,000 kilometers much of it off road and pulling heavy trailers not to mention pulling the caravan over half of Europe so it has not had an easy life. Its more or less retired now, I just use it for forestry collecting wood and as a run around so I am looking for a solution for the next few years. Sounds like you arn't keen on Milners so perhaps I will go with the devil I know. If you have any more thoughts on this I would be grateful.

so youve got a warped head,,   why not check the block for flatness eh?  piece of bright of a good ruler and a feeler guage is all you need to save yourself 1500quid christ.

ours are builders and farmers wagons, the "hard life"  excuse doesnt hold water,  ours get treated far worse than yours i garuntee it and likely pull heavier loads.  its a question of other parts not being up to scratch causing overheating.

cast iron blocks are almost always ok,  check it with flat, i literally just threw a brand new head on a farmers truck that had been Fliped for years and only cost me 230odd quid.

check your fan, your egr cooler, your radiator, your thermostat,  turbo feed pipes,  and o ring,.

dont throw good money after bad, damn.

03 4work, Cummins 6BTA 5.9L engine, 40" round things, and all the accompanying hassle involved.

024life
04warrior
04 4work
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2019, 01:24:22 AM »

Did it have a solid flywheel or a DMF?

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
keyL200
Owners Club member

South Wales

« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »

Solid flywheel. 4d56 engine.

2004 Warrior Double Cab
135,000 Miles
Black
K&N Air Filter
EGR Blanked
Bigger Radiator
Decat
Bigger Intercooler Fan
Manual Locking Hubs
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2019, 13:23:58 PM »

Thought so! That's what happens when you fit a solid flywheel to an engine designed to have a DMF.

Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2019, 19:48:39 PM »

OK Douch I take your point I will get a new head and put it on myself. I havn't done this on a L200 before so bear with me if I ask dumb questions. First one if i put a rule on its edge alond the length of the block would this show up any warping. How do you rate Milners heads or do you know of another supplier.

barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2019, 22:26:57 PM »

OK Douch I take your point I will get a new head and put it on myself. I havn't done this on a L200 before so bear with me if I ask dumb questions. First one if i put a rule on its edge alond the length of the block would this show up any warping. How do you rate Milners heads or do you know of another supplier.

You need to use a decent steel straightedge rather than just a rule, this video shows how, he mentions using a 4 thou feeler which is 0.1 mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtsgYaPk_M

Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2019, 18:49:30 PM »

Cheers for that what size feeler should I use?

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2019, 23:40:10 PM »

Thought so! That's what happens when you fit a solid flywheel to an engine designed to have a DMF.

no uk spec k74 ever came with a DMF and the 4d56 crank was designed long before DMF's were even invented..   DMF's are for driver comfort, not to reduce crankshaft stress,
« Last Edit: 02 November, 2019, 23:47:52 PM by douchecalamondaes » Logged

024life
04warrior
04 4work
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2019, 23:46:23 PM »

Cheers for that what size feeler should I use?

0.05mm standard,  0.2mm limit, so a 0.2 would be good,

a proper straight edge or a hefty bit of bright steel cut to length works well,

i buy heads bare from ebay for about 180,  mls gasket n bolts from milners usually,   need to know how to lap valves and make a spring compressor tool if you want to do it that way,   or 370odd for a built head,

remember tappets must always be done.

024life
04warrior
04 4work
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #14 on: 03 November, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »

Cheers mate am waiting for a new straight edge to check block before buying, will go for complete head I think. Last time I did head change was on a volvo F88 (showing my age here) and torqued head using a scaffold tube! Lips sealed

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #15 on: 03 November, 2019, 11:37:44 AM »

Cheers mate am waiting for a new straight edge to check block before buying, will go for complete head I think. Last time I did head change was on a volvo F88 (showing my age here) and torqued head using a scaffold tube! Lips sealed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-AK623B-Micrometer-Torque-Wrench-3-8-Sq-Drive-Calibrated-Black-Series/332070027094?hash=item4d50ea7f56:g:KHwAAOSwylBcNJgm

024life
04warrior
04 4work
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #16 on: 03 November, 2019, 18:25:21 PM »

I take it you don't recommend using a scaffold tube then. I have got a torque wrench but it is only a cheepo would I be better to buy a new quality one.

Nooks
Owners Club member

« Reply #17 on: 04 November, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »

I got one from Screwfix, Quite similar to the Sealy one but 1/2" drive with a short extension and a 3/8" adapter, 20 odd quid.

2002 V6 Triton Auto, Green/Silver, Carry-boy cover, Cookin' on Gas!
Blackburn, Lancs
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2019, 01:32:43 AM »

I take it you don't recommend using a scaffold tube then. I have got a torque wrench but it is only a cheepo would I be better to buy a new quality one.

you really cant go round guessing torque on heads,,   there is a "TPA" for the 4d56, but its pretty damn useless on MLS.

go up to 120nm in as many stages as you like
« Last Edit: 09 November, 2019, 01:35:07 AM by douchecalamondaes » Logged

024life
04warrior
04 4work
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2019, 21:07:02 PM »

no uk spec k74 ever came with a DMF and the 4d56 crank was designed long before DMF's were even invented..   DMF's are for driver comfort, not to reduce crankshaft stress,

Firstly, dual mass flywheels are fitted to protect the driveline, (clutch, gearbox, propshaft, rear axle) from torsional vibration harmonics - nothing much to do with driver comfort.

Secondly - have a look at this https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=66&t=1632782

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #20 on: 10 November, 2019, 18:44:32 PM »

Firstly, dual mass flywheels are fitted to protect the driveline, (clutch, gearbox, propshaft, rear axle) from torsional vibration harmonics - nothing much to do with driver comfort.

Secondly - have a look at this https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=66&t=1632782

well, one guy being told he has a dmf by a garage, that really is proof right there!

i have seen DMF's on pajero's.  on the 2.8, and i assume the 2.5 may have had it in other markets possibly,   but the k74  as sold in the UK,    important point there,  as sold in the uk, not a factory import.   never had a DMF,  i have pulled apart a good number and have never seen a DMF yet.

DMF's remove the small vibrations which cause gearbox chatter, and, to a very small degree,  ease pulling away smoothly,    a manual gearbox is designed to cope with far higher torques from peak engine torque, and shock loading from the drive line.   the engine vibrations are tiny compared to this,  but they do cause gear chatter.

so, in summary, the job of a DMF is driver comfort above all else.  if you want proof look at HGV's.

024life
04warrior
04 4work
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »

O.K. I have finally got the beast into the workshop ready to go. at the moment i'm having trouble getting the timing belt pulley off the old head any tips? cheers all.

mixaguy
Owners Club member

« Reply #22 on: 20 November, 2019, 00:00:53 AM »

just to say i had a recon engine supplied and fitted by rainham engineering.. i have the overall  bill with all the extras that creeped in .... will be pleased to forward a copy. This work was carried out in march 2016 by A1 engines and gearboxes, Rainham.

mixaguy
Owners Club member

« Reply #23 on: 20 November, 2019, 00:05:38 AM »

ps meant to say total bill 2200.00. best of luck with resurrection.
douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #24 on: 20 November, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »

O.K. I have finally got the beast into the workshop ready to go. at the moment i'm having trouble getting the timing belt pulley off the old head any tips? cheers all.

impact gun,

they arent especially tight.

024life
04warrior
04 4work
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #25 on: 20 November, 2019, 15:29:55 PM »

Cheers mate have a impact gun just need to find the time; It is a right hand thread isn't it.

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #26 on: 23 November, 2019, 01:25:56 AM »

Cheers mate have a impact gun just need to find the time; It is a right hand thread isn't it.

yea no left hand threads on mitsis,,   not really a automotive thing these days generally. apart from track rods

cam sprocket is 70nm if i remember right so itll come off.

024life
04warrior
04 4work
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #27 on: 23 November, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »

Cheers for that, its good to know they all right hand except track rod ends. I am waiting for delivery of the parts(I live in France) will be back in touch when I start the rebuild. I will be getting the workshop manual so I shouldn't need to ask so many daft questions. Thanks for your help and patience so far. Pete

Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #28 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »

I have finally sent for the parts In the last fortnight we have had an earthquake(5.2 on the richter scale) A snow storm that brought thousands of trees down and caused a power outage for six days and torrential rain that has flooded large parts of the region. Anyway douch can you tell me what size of tap I need to clean out the threads on the block. Cheers all at least the sun is shining now!

douchecalamondaes
Owners Club member

hertfordshire

« Reply #29 on: 02 December, 2019, 22:07:41 PM »

I have finally sent for the parts In the last fortnight we have had an earthquake(5.2 on the richter scale) A snow storm that brought thousands of trees down and caused a power outage for six days and torrential rain that has flooded large parts of the region. Anyway douch can you tell me what size of tap I need to clean out the threads on the block. Cheers all at least the sun is shining now!

just use a head bolt and some wd40 and clean it off each time until it comes out clean.   think they are 12x1.25 if i remember correctly but no standard tap will reach and its honestly not necessary

make sure you suck all liquids out of all the holes and clean the deck thoroughly, dont leave any of the old composite on,  be brave its an iron block    a brass or light steel brush on a die-grinder is a good tool for this,   be sure to clean out the cylinders, particularly any metal or blue roll youve got in there,  rotating the engine and WD40 helps here too,

also unblock the steam ports between the cylinders,   dont forget your valve lash and new injector washers,  2 copper 1 tin.

remember washers for the headbolts,..

enjoy

024life
04warrior
04 4work
Supersnail
Owners Club member

« Reply #30 on: 03 December, 2019, 15:49:15 PM »

Cheers buddy just waiting for a long reach socket to gat the injectors out of the old head and I will start the rebuild. Watch this space for more daft questions!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: