KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
19 April, 2021, 05:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
155920 Posts in 18329 Topics by 12174 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Membership to this site is FREE.
Please email or PM me to become a free member
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  Clear coat/lacquer-peel damage.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clear coat/lacquer-peel damage.  (Read 571 times)
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« on: 27 February, 2021, 04:24:03 AM »

Does anybody have any tips on how to repair this sort of damage to the tops of the wheel spats and a bit on the bonnet? Apart from getting somebody else to do it because somebody else over here in France costs a arm and both legs.

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2021, 15:00:32 PM »

You can repair clear coat damage,, you need to get yourself a random orbital sander and sand back the clear coat back to the base coat, be careful not to sand to much of the base coat, If you do you will have to put a base coat down then clear coat over and blending coat,, let it all dry and buff.  Job done 

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Landrover 90 and discovery td5, also 1958 series 2.. I do love my landys,
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2021, 16:36:21 PM »

The damage is identical to this one on Autotrader

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101318543910?postcode=nr134ra&sort=relevance&radius=1501&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=MITSUBISHI&advertising-location=at_cars&model=L200&price-from=500&page=1

On all four wheel spats so an orbital sander isn't going to be any use unfortunately so it's going to be hand work.

I can't find anywhere that will go near the job for less than ?750 so I've ordered some two-pack clear coat aerosols, cutting paste etc.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2021, 13:29:20 PM »

I had a similar problem last year, took my truck to a few paint shops and was quoted in my opinion unrealistic prices, total rip of Britain, sign of the times eh. luckily I have a big compressor so hit YouTube and did a crash course in painting, went and invested in two devilbis guns, (Not cheap) orbital sander and a few blocks and did it myself in the summer out side, End result spot on, I had a good time doing it and enjoyed the learning curve and said to myself if I f--- it up at least I would have learned something, since doing it I have been asked by loads of people could I do some work for them and of course they want it done for next to nothing.. The has got to be a moral there somewhere.. Have a go yourself all it costs is a little bit of paint and some investment in gear, but if it work for you like it did me,, its a bargain. im blending and all sorts now and enjoy doing it. I payed a shop quite a few years ago ?3600 to respray a Volvo 850 R best shop around so I was told so as it was insurance I went with it,, paint was good but the prep work was done by apprentices end result was rubbish, I have had a few car painted over the years with insurance approved paint shops and have never had a good job done. its in and out with them, no quality.. hence me doing it myself these days, best thing I ver did.. good luck with it

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Landrover 90 and discovery td5, also 1958 series 2.. I do love my landys,
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: