KS International - L200 Forum sponsor
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
24 July, 2021, 15:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
155955 Posts in 18338 Topics by 12181 Members
www.L200.org.uk
Full site access is now FREE - Owners Club cards are required for discounts with our sponsors.

Owners Club card £2
Owners Club card & keyring £3
Owners Club card, keyring & mug £5
Thermal mug costs on request.

No record of membership will  be recorded
Home L200 Forum L200 Forum & Club Info Buy Owners Club Merchandise at the L200 Forum L200 Forum Gallery L200 Forum Information page Login Register L200 Forum Links Page L200 Forum email
Looking to join the Mitsubishi L200 Owners Club ? - Joining info here - - - - - - - Want to help our charities ? - Shop at Amazon.co.uk through this link
L200 Owners Club Forum - Facebook Page A-Plan L200 insurance - L200 Forum sponsor
+  L200 Owners Club
|-+  The Forum
| |-+  Public/Initial Posting Area.
| | |-+  L200 k74 crank pulley bolt snapped
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: L200 k74 crank pulley bolt snapped  (Read 1891 times)
chris longstaff
Owners Club member

« on: 03 November, 2020, 20:46:10 PM »

Hello just wondered if anyone has successfully drilled out a snapped crank pulley bolt from a k74 l200.Thankyou
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2020, 13:04:11 PM »

get a right handle drill, and a good set of drills, centre punch, the art here is to centre punch the bolt in the centre, once thats done start small with a quarter " drill and work your way up. you can try easy outers to see if it brakes the bolt and screws out, if not just keep going up in sizes till it comes,,, if you are not lucky and you damage the thread dont worry you can drill it over size and insert a helicoil.. get a two foot bit of wood to put on the back of the drill and wedge it to force the dill in,, as always be slow and take your time..

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Landrover 90 and discovery td5, also 1958 series 2.. I do love my landys,
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
chris longstaff
Owners Club member

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2020, 20:14:05 PM »

Thankyou for your help will try it at the weekend!
Supersnail
Owners Club member

Im always in the poo its only the depth that varie

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2020, 15:39:54 PM »

Try not to snao the drill in the hole as they realy are difficult to redrill out. As Chris says take it slow.

2001 Black\Grey double cab.K&N air filter
chris longstaff
Owners Club member

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2020, 22:34:04 PM »

Hello managed to get the snapped bolt out the crankshaft trucks all running nicely again Thankyou for everyone?s help.Does any no why these bolts snap seems quite a common fault on the k74 l200.Thankyou
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2020, 15:56:11 PM »

Well done Chris,, not really a nice job and it frazzles the nerves somewhat. I think its just poor quality bolt material that mitz used,, I usually put a flame on the bold to heat it before undoing, and a little shock treatment with a hammer usually does it..Hope you put a new pulley on it they have a habit of delaminating 

Warrior 2004 Silver
Fullbox, decat, egr blanked, powerchip, Mac wheels 285/60/18 coopers.Sport grill, twin headlights. 124K, New engine at 102K.
Volvo 850R, nissan 300zx twin turbo, Been ordered by a higher athority no more toys.
barnstormer
Owners Club member

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2020, 21:27:41 PM »

Well done Chris,, not really a nice job and it frazzles the nerves somewhat. I think its just poor quality bolt material that mitz used,, I usually put a flame on the bold to heat it before undoing, and a little shock treatment with a hammer usually does it..Hope you put a new pulley on it they have a habit of delaminating 

More likely to be pattern bolts - I bought a new bolt when I did the belts and bottom pulley on mine The thread on the new milners bolt was about 4 thou undersize across the thread and a quick and dirty hardness test with an automatic centre punch showed that it was softer than the original, so the original one went back in.

I'm not over the hill. I'm still trying to get up it!
chris longstaff
Owners Club member

« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2020, 21:50:30 PM »

Yeah thought it must be just poor quality bolt.Hope this one will be ok.I put a new bolt, wood ruff key, bottom pulley, timing belts and idler pulleys all from ks international  and torqued bottom pulley bolt to 186nm!
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »

When I do anything on my own stuff I always get genuine parts, even filters, my reasoning is simple, it costs a little more but I have more confidence in the parts, pattern parts are made cheaply normally from inferior material. Hence are cheap, and wont last the distance. some times this does not work out as more OEM's are sourcing there parts from third party suppler's I have noticed this. if I do a job on a customer car they get two prices and not so much of a warrantee on pattern parts, but you would be surprised at the cost of main dealer parts these days sometime I get them cheaper than motor factor pattern parts,,

Warrior 2004 Silver
rodeast24
Owners Club member

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »

I remember doing a full service on a discovery TD5 some years ago,, within hours it had broken down,, a lot of head scratching diagnostics and time was spent on why this bloody thing had broken down, A trip over to my mate who works for Land Rover told him what I had done to it, he starts laughing and told me to replace the diesel filter,, I said what for its new. so returned back a little confused,, low and behold took the filter back off and it had collapsed in side,,, dear I say it pattern filter.. Never again.

Warrior 2004 Silver
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: